lead the way to the birds!!

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

lead the way to the birds!!

Postby quackwhacker » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:03 pm

I'm new to the milwaukee area and need to do a little pre season scouting. Was wondering where one might look for the geese and ducks for the coming season? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
If it flies, it DIES!!! Come on now, someone take me huntin'!!!
quackwhacker
Newb

Postby OzaukeeDoug » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:38 pm

I don't know what part of the Milwaukee area you are in, but as far as public land nearby goes, you should be prepared to deal with a lot of other hunters. 99% of the guys out there are courteous and won't crowd you, but then there is always that other 1%.

To the north of Milwaukee there aren't many decent areas open to the public, there are more to the west and northwest.

The Horicon marsh is arguably one of the best waterfowling spots in the country and is a fairly short drive. The state wildlife area up there is open to waterfowl hunting, but you need a special permit to hunt geese in that zone.
OzaukeeDoug
hunter

GOOSE HUNTING

Postby Duane Emery » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:53 am

horicon is a good place to hunt if you want to see how far you are able to shoot nothing but sky busting there now my self i find it more fun decoying the birds then shoot them
Duane Emery
Newb

Postby jreigh » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:46 pm

what about lake michigan? how can this be hunted? is it more effective later in the season?
jreigh
Newb

Postby quackwhacker » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Went out and scouted Muskego lake this weekend. Looks like a possibility. Has anyone scouted Teresa or other areas within an hours drive of N Milwaukee? I swear I won't skybust or steal your blinds, just looking to make my time scouting count! Thanks again!!!
If it flies, it DIES!!! Come on now, someone take me huntin'!!!
quackwhacker
Newb

Postby chase83 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:06 am

I am new to this website Forum just stumbled across it.... I am from the Oconomowoc area which is about 30 min west of milwaukee... I have some good spots out here to hunt.

AS far as LAKE MICHIGAN goes....Awesome diver hunting when lakes and ponds freeze up... There are plenty of good areas in the milwaukee area but you must be North of Capitol Drive to start hunting...You can launch at Mckinley...right off of lakeshore dr.. down town.

I would strongly recommend a good size boat. Do not go out there with a little jon boat big water hunting can be extremely dangerous and you must watch the inshore marine forecast go onto National Weather Services web site and you can select the section of water you will hunt and it will give you a wave forecast. I would recommend going out only in 1-2 foot waves!!!

There are awesome Hunting all along the shore up to and past Shebygon!!

If you have any questions or need advice please email me or message me
email
bradknight83@yahoo.com
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby ZHUNTER » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:53 am

You should try to hunt down on the fox river or possibly out at a dnr area called Bong. Every year there are tons of ducks out there and there are many hunters but everyone hunts ethically and there is enough land out there to keep everybody far enough away from eachother. They arent close like the people were up north last weekend. I had people this close! :umm: IT SUCKED, but you are guarenteed to get in shooting out there. If you have any questions about these areas let me know.
ZHUNTER
hunter

Milwuakee Duck Hunting

Postby TeamSkoal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:01 pm

New the site, this is my first post. Im in my third year down at marquette, and this year im in an apt so i got all my gear. friend from the area told me to go hunt on the lake he lives on, but im not sure it its legal to hunt on. pretty sure he siad hes on little muskego down to the south west. is this lake legal for hunting?

also ive been a member of another wisconsin duck hunting. pretty active post on there i like, lot of good guys, with a lot of good info. go to is sign up and start posting

www.wisconsinduckhunter.com

thanx for any info
TeamSkoal
hunter

Postby ZHUNTER » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:12 pm

Yes, little muskego is legal to hunt on
ZHUNTER
hunter

Postby duck slayer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:27 pm

It is legal to hunt little muskego but there is 3 places to hunt. All are an island and are hunted by people already. I have permission for one of the islands and the others you will get kicked off of right away. There is no place for people to hunt out there. This year there isn't much for ducks anyways because it is all locals.
duck slayer
Newb

Little Muskego

Postby TeamSkoal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:36 pm

Duck Slayer,

My one roomate has a place right on the lake and he knows the owners of one of the smaller islands, they said we were welcome to hunt off it so thats were im hopin to get out to soon.
TeamSkoal
hunter

Postby 10ga. » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:42 pm

Try Big Muskego, It's a good lake for divers & puddlers late in the season, it's a lot better than Little Muskego! I should know....I grew up in that town & cut my duck hunting teeth on the big lake. There's a nice launch @ Boxhorn's (Big Muskego Gun Club) & plenty of parking. I think you'll like the big lake way better than the small one.
10ga.
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting