Stevens Point Waterfowl Meeting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Postby Goosen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:49 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what's going in on the proposal for this year.

Youth Hunt - Sept. 17 - 18 and the youth will be allowed to harvest a Canvasback also if one is around then.

Ducks - 60 days 6 ducks. No more than 4 mallards and 1 hen. There was discussion of going to 2 hens after Nov. 1st we'll have to see what becomes of this?? 2 woodies, 1 Black duck, 2 red heads, 2 scaup, 1 pintail (60 Days) 1 canvasback (30 days) and the usual merganser and coot limits.

North Zone - Sept. 24 - Nov. 22

Southern Zone - Oct. 1 - 9, Oct. 15 - Dec. 4th Monday - Friday split

Canvasback season Oct. 15 - Nov. 13

Canada Geese - This one I don't know where it will end up but I'm guessing it's going to open concurrant with the duck in each zone and will be 2 a day from the start from all indications of this group. By going to 2 a day Kent figures that the season will close in the exterior 2 to 3 week's early! Also because of the better recoarding of harvested geese by the hunters the last two years our Quota was able to be increased 14,0000 I beleive the number was because they have a more accurate numbers and harvest data. So keep calling in harvested geese!

River Subzone was approved

Zones - This was tabled till the spring confrence in Point next march as with the latest proposal of no zone and one or two splits took them by surprise and they want time to look at this more ( Thanks Popple Cop!! ) It made quite a stir when I brought it up. But anytime they want to look at things further rather than getting voted down right away is a good thing.

Horicon Zone - Looks like 4 tags and they're talking about doing away with the intesive zone or liberalizing the rules some. This was also tabled to have the DNR come back with Specific options.

Opening Day Hours - This was voted on for a noon or half hour before sunrise and it was about a 50 -50 vote so that will be something to keep an eye on also.

So with this Zone thing being tabled till the spring conferance you'll want to be there this march and have your say or it will be 6 years before you'll have another chance to make a change. It's funny there are 75,000 waterfowl hunters in WI. and only about 25 show up and dictate what the other 74,975 will be doing this fall. More need to attend!!
See ya in the field
Goosen
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting