Northern Zone Opener

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Northern Zone Opener

Postby Bduckin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:47 am

Hey all of you fellow WI Duck hunters. Hope all of you who are going north this weekend enjoy the opener! I know Im itchin to get out.

I just wanted to get an idea from those of you who usually hunt southern zone are you planning on heading north for the opener, or are you going to wait the extra week?

What do you think about the states split opener? Im not so sure that I like the idea yet. I think it will mean that there are just that many more people in the areas I like to hunt. But I guess Ill just have to wait and see.

Good luck to you all, be safe, and dont be a sky buster this weekend!!! :thumbsup:
Bduckin
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:46 pm

Heading to Sawyer County to hunt the little lakes up in those parts. Shoot a few Teal and Woodies, and not too much pressure! I will say that it is growing in popularity in the old deer woods though. Ten years ago, you wouldn't see a soul, and now they have their version of skybusters. Ones that not only shoot out of range waterfowl, but can't call worth a lick either! :thumbsup: Good luck to yourself Bduckin, and shoot the lips off them ducks! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wiwoodie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:44 am

I will be hunting the next two weekends up north. Most of my hunting is northern zone even being I live in south east Wisconsin. I do hunt in the southern zone.
wiwoodie
hunter

how'd you do in sawyer co ??

Postby hoover » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:18 pm

how did things go in sawyer county ?? i know water levels are way down.

i looked over a public area that i have hunted over the years and saw way too many hunters and bailed. i will wait til the middle of the week. talked to the warden who said that some ducks he banded this summer where in north dakota now.... bummer ...mallards.
hoover
hunter

Postby TeamSkoal » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:00 pm

ME and my two buddies hammered the ducks out on the bay north of oconto for the opener. By 430 or so sat we had 15 blue wing, 1 drake redehead, 1 drake woodie, 1 drake mallard. !8 ducks in around 4 hours not bad work...the ducks were everywere
TeamSkoal
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:01 pm

Nice job Skoal! I never made it North. The in-laws decided to take the cottage for the weekend, so that put a damper on things. Heading west to the Mississippi to hunt the southern opener. Hopefully it doesn't rain for the weekend. We camp out on the islands and rough it! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TeamSkoal » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:44 am

Sounds like a blast pete, we camp on the islands on the river for the fourth of july. Take my dads buddy 65 sea ray down the river, find a good sand dune island, drink some beers, blast off bout grande worth of fireworks, fish, play horse shoes....its a blast

Never done it for duck hunting sounds like a great time....ill have to look into doing somethin like that good luck
TeamSkoal
hunter

Postby Bduckin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:11 am

Well fellas I have to say that this was the worst opener Ive had in years! My buddy and I saw 2 to 3 times more people out on the water than we have ever seen in the past. We had to go to our third backup location to hunt and once we got there we found no ducks. Every lake we went to had at least 3 to 4 groups on it. WHAT THE HECK! We finally went to where we usually hunt and we were either the 7th or 8th group on that lake (we have never seen more than one other group on the lake in the past 6+ years). Not only did we see a TON of people, but my gun didnt get the memo that it was time to shoot some ducks and went 0 for 10 on the weekend :pissed: . Oh well I guess there is always next weekend.
Bduckin
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:40 pm

You used to be able to head north, and the only hunters you saw were bow hunters. I think with CWD in the state, that more people are taking up this sport. We used to have the Lakes and ponds to ourselves up north, and now all you have are terrible calling skybusters. No offense to the few Northern boys who Know how to call, but some of them boys need to get back to their roots and take up Deer hunting again! :salude:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting