Not duck hunting, but should be a season

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Not duck hunting, but should be a season

Postby Remington1187 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:04 pm

This is a video clip of sanhill cranes me and my friend saw at the eldorado marsh 2 nights in a row. We saw a lot of them and recorded them because we think dnr should open a season on them...click the "cranes99" one. Sorry if the volume is bad. I thikn we should have a season on sandhilshttp://www.putfile.com/remington1187
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby chase83 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 pm

I think its time for a camera with a Stablizer but wow lots of cranes :thumbsup:
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Sorry bout that its like the size of my palm and the smallest movement is huge on the camcorder :pissed:
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby quackattack_now » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:49 pm

I agree. Wisconsin is over due for a season on the cranes. I have always wanted to hunt them and think that the population is stable enough for hunters to be allowed 1 or 2 birds a season. I think we need to get a season going. With a little work we could all get together and mabey get a season going.
Hello and good hunting to all
quackattack_now
hunter

Postby CMAN » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:26 pm

I dont think a crane season would hurt either. Who knows in a few years we may be busting some of the weird sounding things.
TAKE EM BOYS
Waterfowling is a disease the only difference is we want this one passed on!!
CMAN
hunter

Postby twin_teal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:20 pm

There should not only be a season on cranes but swans would be nice too. Even if each hunter had to buy a tag or get in a lottery system or something. I think both would be a blast to hunt. There are seasons for swans and cranes further west so why not wisconsin?
why have a mud motor when you could have an airboat?
twin_teal
hunter

crane season

Postby fishmunkee » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:05 pm

I asked a warden at the state fair exhibit about a crane season a number of years ago. He told me it is unlikely there will ever be one as the population of cranes that live and migrate thru Wis is seperate from the population they hunt west of here. How true this is, I don't know, it's just what he told me. I, for one, would like to start hunting them as I generally see more of them than any other waterfowl lately.
fishmunkee
hunter

Postby benelliduckman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 pm

Wisconsin is one of the only states with both Whoopers and sandhills nesting here. I think the season would be doubtful because of the fact someone might mistake a pure white crane for a brownish gray one. Just like someone mistakes a huge swan for a snow goose that rarely frequents wisconsin. Just my .02. We should just be happy that we got dove season.
benelliduckman
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting