Wisconsin ducks 2004

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Wisconsin ducks 2004

Postby chase83 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:13 am

Looking to hunt ducks in the Northern Zone thinking of hunting the
WI river near Rhinelander anyone ever hunt up there or got any good suggestions on where to hunt???
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby OzaukeeDoug » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:01 pm

Yep. There's some good spots up on the 'Sconnie.

Just behave yourself and don't go skybustin' because I'm going to be there too. Please don't wreck it, it's a good thing!

Actually I live in Saukville and if younwant to hunt with me and my buddy Wade shoot me an email and maybe we could team up.

Cheers, Doug
Last edited by OzaukeeDoug on Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzaukeeDoug
hunter

Postby chase83 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:56 am

I sent you a email from the emai l address you had gave on the post....

Check it out and get back to me...

thanks
Brad
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Ladysmith newbie

Postby mustbeduckhunting » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:04 pm

I am new to the Ladysmith area. I grew up hunting on the Mississippi near and around Pepin, WI. I am looking for places to hunt up around Ladysmtih when I don't have time to get down to Pepin. Any ideas? I have a flat bottom w/25, so most, but not all water is navigable. I have a 2 year old lab who is primed and ready to get goin this season. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
mustbeduckhunting
mustbeduckhunting
hunter

Postby OzaukeeDoug » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm

That was about the most digusting opening day I have ever seen on the marsh. There were about 3 different people that apparently just learned which end of the call to blow into. One guy sounded like he was trying to call cats with a duck call and another moron was making machine gun sounds into his call all day thinking that he was chuckling. I was literally laughing out loud at the ridiculousness of the calling I heard. Here's a tip: If you've been blowing into your call all day and haven't turned any ducks, put your call in your pocket and leave it there.

Skybusting this year was worse than I have ever seen it. The group nearest to me was shooting at ducks that were at least 60 yards OR MORE in the air. And they weren't the only ones, nearly every group on the marsh was guilty of it mnay times and it literally made me sick. I personally saw 4 birds that were crippled and sailed a few hundred yards and I know they weren't brought in.Oh well, I guess those bald eagles that were out there will be eating well. And as the day went on the skybusting and crappy calling just got worse until I couldn't watch it anymore and pulled in my dekes almost an hour before closing and got the hell out of there.

The birds sure got a lesson on opening day on the Wisconsin.. They will be be the most call-shy and high-flying ducks in the state. My fellow hunters disgusted me with their behavior on saturday and I'm starting to wonder if I can ever go hunting on public water again.
OzaukeeDoug
hunter

Postby chase83 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:29 pm

I totally agree with you on the Skybusting....It was worse then I have ever seen....We had a good amount of ducks that wanted to work us but the had to swing over guys and of course everytime they got shot at even though they were passing them and coming in at us, not a care for the fellow hunter and then they would shoot at them at 60 + yards up and shooting like crazy.... absolutly disgusting...I will never do that again. I got one shot the whole day and it was at 6:10pm and it dived to the decoys then popped blind open and then shot when passing at about 45-50 yrds killed him dead but he was going so fast he flew far into the Wild rice and it was all stumps. couldnt spot him looked for about 20 min...

Very dissappointed...

Where from the launch did you guys hunt North-South.....??? Where were the guys with the nasty calling....??? I heard a lot of nasty cheap sounding calls including goose calls!!!

How did you guys do??

We will have to get together and hunt out by us sometime...We should team up somewhere and blast some duckys

We did horrible sunday as well no shots fired:(

Waste of a trip.....I hate skybusters...... What the hell are these jack ass's thinking when they take those shots? I would like to drive up to all of them and :hammering:

the bars were the funnest part of the trip and seeing a ton of ducks....too bad that area will br ruined for the rest of the year...

I hunt a marsh west of us that is public but only really hunted by hunters not opening weekend blasters and even those guys dont skybust out here its pretty cool and that probably explainns the good success throughout the year.!!! I cant wait for the opportunity to shoot at some birds....will not go out opening day Sat but will travel Sat because I cant take the sky blasting again....i hoped it wouldnt be like that....

I could bitch about for another week and go on and on......I think they need to enforce a law that you cant shot at any bird beyond 50 yrds ...

I shoot Kent Impact Tungsten Matrix and I wish these sky blasters did to because they might have a chance at what there shooting at and gurantee the would have to be rich to shoot that many times..... opening week every one should have to pay alot for shells so they dont get wasted or only let a person take out 20 shells or something....gurantee that would eliminate all the problems.... :thumbsup:

Let me know If you guys wanna hunt some time....email me some areas you guys hunt and We can figure something out!!!
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby OzaukeeDoug » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:27 pm

Well I did all right considering the idiots out there, we got a total of 5 mallards, I lost one that dove about 25 yards in front of me, couldn't find it even with 2 dogs.

We were hunting straight out from the landing and a little to the south.
OzaukeeDoug
hunter

Postby chase83 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:23 pm

Were you guys hunting by the big submerged log/tree dead " that was out in the middle, kind of straight out from launch and a little south....??

Where from you guys was the bad calling coming from?

Did you guys bury yourselves in the rice....or hunt the channels
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting