Need advice for hunting pup!!!

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Need advice for hunting pup!!!

Postby WyomingBoy_89 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I have a black lab pup....10 months old....Shes smart, well mannered, and have been working with her since she was 2 months. I got her to be a duck/pheasent dog but having problems out in the field. Fetching and sent trails werent a problem when i was training her she picked it up fairly quickly. Then when it comes to the field she does everything right (stays by my side, sits, stays when im walking by the river) but doesnt get the downed bird...I know she knows what she has to do but it seems like she is timid or lost out there...need help please give me advice...first lab i trained need all the advice i can get....thank you
WyomingBoy_89
hunter

Re: Need advice for hunting pup!!!

Postby David121582 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Have you tried the bumpers that look like ducks. That may help to train her on land on those first and then try the water. Also whatever you do don't get mad at her. She will just shut down she knows you are mad. Praise her if she even attempts to get it.
David121582
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:07 pm

You should post this in the dog section of the forum.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby wyolabs » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Have you force fetched your pup yet. It is about the right age. Other wise I would really entice the pup with a duck making a game of it and a good experience for the pup. I was wondering what part of Wyoming you are from. There are some retriever clubs in the state that train and it would be a good source for information for you. Good luck with the pup.
wyolabs
Newb

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting