decoying ducks

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

decoying ducks

Postby skifast33 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:53 pm

I’m living in Wheatland and have decided to pick up duck hunting after going out east on a duck hunt and fell in love!!! I found a spot loaded with ducks, Grayrocks reservoir. My questions are does anyone else duck hunt the area? is decoying and calling a good strategy? and what do you recommend for concealment there is not much of anything for cover and i don’t want to stick out!
skifast33
hunter

Re: decoying ducks

Postby deaner » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Yes youll prob want some decoys. A dozen or so mallard dekes(floating) should work. Spread em out pretty good. Wait on calling if youre new to it. Good idea is to sneak up on them during offseason and just watch them. Listen to how they talk to each other and how their flight patterns run. My guess is their roosting in the res. As far as cover goes just try to blend in lol. Imagination is key when it comes to no vegitation to melt into. Ive used every thing from Ghillie suits to grey tarps laying on rocks lol. Good luck!
Butt, Breast, Beak, BANG!
deaner
hunter

Postby fallnl » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:28 am

I'm originally from WY, so...First off, never reveal your hunting spot...You'll have claim jumpers all over you in short order...

Second, he's right, figure out how to blend into the vegitation...if none...Get a little boat and cover it with prairie grass...

Third, as far as calling goes, he's also right, listen to them...spend time at the res, just scouting and listening...Recording them wouldn't hurt if possible...If that dosen't learn ya, they sell DVD's on calling that help alot...

Fourth, you given any thought to how you are gonna get the dead birds out of the water? Boat? Mutts? Waders? I know Grayrock is deep, so...chose wisely there...You really need to think that through because dead birds do sink, and quick...And they don't come back up...

Fifth, lots of the online outfitters like Cabelas and SG, Gander MT and so on have periodic super sales on decoys and gear...capitalize...

Sixth, practice makes perfect...in the off season, try your gear out...Minus the gun, get there, set up your decoy spread leaving a little spot for landing, set your blind up and practice calling birds in until you get them cupping in and committing to a landing...

No worries and when it all comes together, it's magic... :thumbsup:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:11 pm

thank you guys i have been visiting the area regularly and i have a dog and waders and have waded the area i plan to set up in and it is plenty shallow enough as long as there are no drastic changes. As for sharing my spots im not afraid of having a few other hunters around i think it might be better than none at all get the birds moving around more, pluss its a huge area plenty of birds to share im not greedy. Thanks again good luck this year i will post some photos hopefully if all goes well once the season starts back up again.
skifast33
hunter

Postby deaner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Ive been wondering how greyrock would be. Im up here in Gillette and the birds just kinda fell off! Bunch of geese but I think these couple of cold snaps are movin em around a bit. How is it down there? Countdown til saturday!
deaner
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:19 pm

About three weeks ago it was the begining of general deer hunting when i noticed how full the res was with birds i didnt think anything of it until i drove down close to the water and the numbers and species of birds was insane... Since then it has slowly been decreasing and i went two days ago and a few geese were flying and maybe two flocks of less than 15 birds was all i saw. maybe this incoming storm system from the north will bring a few birds in. hopefull the wind will die down by the time the season starts up again. keep me updated on how they are flying up there and i will let you know whats happening down here.
skifast33
hunter

Postby deaner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Yeah Ill def keep you posted. I hate this stupid break in the season! Hoping this system pushes em in and they stick around. 4 more days lol. You going out saturday skifast? Lemme know how the res works out! Oh btw there are a ton of duck decoys on craigslist in Nebraska for sale now. Couple pretty good cheap setups...
deaner
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am

thanks for the craiglist update and as long as my buddy doesnt get called out to work he is in the air force down in cheyenne and then yes saterday i hope to get out!
skifast33
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 am

Well deaner i have good news and bad, I got accepted to attend the border patrol academy and work for them, I am leaving on the 16th so i wont get much hunting in this season. but im happy i got the job and i will be stationed in washington state, after my training on the southern border. good luck this season! I hear texas has awesome ducks and washington as well.
skifast33
hunter

Postby deaner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Well congrats skifast33! Yeah texas has tons depending on where. I spose thats everywhere tho huh? Youll at least get some shooting in before you take off. Weather keeps up this way its gonna be an early season blah! Keep me posted on your hunts!
deaner
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:34 pm

I went out today mostly checing out wheatland reservoir 2 and 3 lots of ducks out there!... only problem they are all out in the middle and they see you coming from a mile away and dont like to fly at all. Dabling ducks and divers were there didnt get close enough to identify them didnt kill anything either. Grayrocks was the same way with the least amount of birds i have ever seen there. The winds today didnt help much either.
skifast33
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:55 am

get out there before first light and set up a dozen dekes close to the shore, in the windshadow if you can. If it is a windy day, and it is always windy in WY, the ducks will try to hide in the shadow. At first shooting light they will fly all around and you should get some good shooting. Later in the morning they will raft up in the middle and it is pretty tough to get them.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 pm

thanks for the advice I figured getting all set up and everything before sun up would help and yes non windy days this time of the year dont happen to often.
skifast33
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting