the ole girl is gonna retire

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

the ole girl is gonna retire

Postby loner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 pm

my old chessie Star is turning over the reins this yr, after having her best yr in terms of #'s.
11 great yrs + only a handful of lost birds + i mean a small handful. she never met a duck hunter she did'nt like, never seen her get cold- just plain tuff!
let's see if the new kid has what it takes
loner
hunter

Re: the ole girl is gonna retire

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Don't be surprised when she gives you a severe rash of back talk when the first hunt without her rolls around. I wouldn't leave your shoes out where she can get them. A dog that tough and smart can figure ways to get even for being left behind.
Congrats to the ol' Girl for all those years of service. :beer: :beer:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby darb79 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Its always a hard adjustment when the pups reach retirement, but the very fact they survived to retirment is a feat in itself. The countless miles of running and swimming all for picking up the birds and all the time spent training and practicing for the seasons. Not to mention how they become a member of the family with a personality of their own. You can take the dog from the hunt, but you cant take the hunt out of the dog. But it is a well deserved rest.
The new pup looks good
Sorry for the rambling thoughts, but it brings back memories of old hunting partners.
If a man is alone in a duck blind and no woman can hear him... Is he still wrong?
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:29 am

darb79, how is that pup of yours doing? i'll bet he's grown some! how did he make out last season?
loner
hunter

Postby darb79 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:53 pm

I never intended on hunting my pup last season because he was born in may and would only be 4 months old by the time the season started. But from the time I got him he was at my side shooting pigeons around the house, and when he went and picked one up and brought it back I knew he was a keeper. He did have an encounter with a crippled goose at the end of the season that has made him timid with cripple birds, but I picked up a couple live beater pheasants that I tie up and have him retrieve 'em. But for any dog I've had he is probably top of the list. Great with the kids, aggressive in the field, and pays attention.
How olds that pup of yours? How was the end of the season up there? The word I had was that the geese didn't show til after it closed.
If a man is alone in a duck blind and no woman can hear him... Is he still wrong?
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm

the pup is 8 months old now + doing good, just finishing up forcefetching. still has lots of drive + real birdy.
the geese moved in before the season was over. took a local kid goose huntin that had just got his license this yr, i think i hooked him!Image
loner
hunter

Postby darb79 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Atta boy! Always fun when a yungun catches the fever. :thumbsup:
darb79
hunter

Postby loner » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 am

well it looks the new kid might just have what it takes!
loner
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting