How's your take?

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

How's your take?

Postby DuckNONcommander » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:34 pm

I'm thinking about taking a new job in Wyoming. I've lived in CA my whole life and duck hunted here many years. I hunt mostly in Colusa CA where I own a blind. I have recently applied for a job in Wyoming and feel pretty confident I will get the Job. It's located in Lysite. I've never even been to Wyoming but was wondering if my favorite hobby will be good there. It could mean the difference between taking the job and not.

Currently I live in a rural area but commute to the Bay Area. I will be pursuing country land close to Casper. Please, any info would be great.

Brian from CA
Brian Just
California Vacaville 95688
Work at Shell Oil in Martinez.
Looking at a Job For Conoco Phillips in Lysite.
Want to MOVE to Wyoming soon
How's the duck hunting.
DuckNONcommander
Newb

Postby Dhdoyle » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:17 pm

Hi!

I live in Casper and know Lysite. I suppose I know who you might work for...

The best waterfowl hunting is located southwest and southeast of Casper on the North Platte river. There is some public walk-in access on the river near Alcova lake that is pretty good for ducks. We also hunt geese in fields just off the river in the same area. (That stretch is also God's country for trout.) Last year, though, we spent more time hunting futher down river near Douglas and Wheatland.

Having said all that, the migrating birds come south along the eastern side of the Bighorn Mountains, mill around a bit near Casper, and then follow the North Platte over toward Cheyenne and down the Colorado Front Range.

The migration route takes them practically right over Lysite. You're right at the southern tip of the Bighorns. Good mule deer and Elk hunting too, if you can get somebody to show you up into the high country to the north.

P.S. Be prepared for some spectacular weather. Lysite has some altitude and tends to catch heck!

Cheers!
Dave
Dhdoyle
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:36 pm

I have never hunted around Casper but I know some guys thats do and Dhdoyle took the words outta my mouth. The North Platte is prime duck/goose hunting.

Dhdoyle- Keep in touch....maybe this season one of us could make a drive and we could hook a hunt up together. :salude:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby PlatteRiversDecoy(Rio) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 am

Y'all know of any good public land to hunt ducks and geese where there aint 3289742897 other guys hunting?
If you ain't hunting with a lab....I am sorry!!

Purina Pro team
Team Retrieve
FA Pro Staff
PlatteRiversDecoy(Rio)
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting