moving to WY

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

moving to WY

Postby duckbuster » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:13 pm

im going to be moving to laramie wyoming and am wondering how the hunting is around there would appreciate it if any one has addvice.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:03 pm

no kidding. I live in Laramie. This was my first season hunting in Wyoming and I feel like I've been re-inventing the wheel a little. I don't know where you're coming from so I don't know what to compare it to, but it's pretty good. Here's a little bit of what I've learned.

Elk hunting is great, and close, like 30 miles. This was my first elk season and I got 1 with a rifle after chasing them all fall with a bow. There are blue grouse in the mountains and they are pretty easy to kill and taste great, I got 4 with my bow when I was elk hunting. You can hunt pronghorn, but most of the land they are on is private and getting access is pricey. The western part of the state is better for pronghorn and deer.

Waterfowl is ok. We've found jumping them on the Laramie river works best. We tried the deeks but there just aren't enough around. The North Platte is suposed to be pretty good, but it is a bit of a drive and access is tricky.

There are pheasants east of Cheyenne, but the are farm raised and are kind of like shooting chickens that fly well.

There are supposed to be turkeys up north. My buddy has been and it's supposed to be good. I'm going to check it out this spring.

Send me a pm and if you want to know anything else.

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:26 pm

thanks for the post, if anyone else has information id appreciate it.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:54 pm

I don't know a whole heck of alot about Cheyenne but if you're gonna be traveling down by Greybull, Cody area or the Big Horn Basin then I could sure hook you up with a hunt!!! :salude:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:52 pm

thanks ill keep that in mind
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting