Jackson Hole, WY

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Jackson Hole, WY

Postby Silenthunter » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm

I am moving to Jackson Hole for the winter. Just wondering if there are ducks near there? Snake river maybe?
Get out there...
Silenthunter
hunter

Re: Jackson Hole, WY

Postby RebelYell » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm

I know im real late on this reply, but i spent the summer out in wyoming and I saw a bunch of goldeneyes, bufflehead, teal and some mallards in/around the hole. They are allll over yellowstone lake, but of course that won't work. I did see a bunch of ducks (too hard to tell what they were from the road) on a lake/pond off of buffalo valley road. Might wanna check that out. I bet the buffalo fork river also would be some fun hunting, just watch out for bears :eek:
RebelYell
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:30 pm

I will be moving to jackson next week. We hunted the first 6 days last year and shot about 85 birds. There is quite a bit of pressure early on with all the southerners there. Where you going to be working? I have worked out there for 3.5 years so maybe we could go on a few hunts this year. I am not for sure how many we are going to have opening day but I will let ya know.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 am

Depending where you are at, things freeze up in Nov. From that point on you'll want to hit the rivers. I made 4 trips over there last year to hunt with my son who lives there. It is pretty much a goldeneye hunt from December on. I'm not saying there aren't puddlers just few and far between. There are some good spots in Idaho that aren't far depending on how far you're willing to drive.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Ya me and a few of my buddies plan on gettin idaho license too. heard there is some pretty descent huntin about 2-3 hours away. I can't wait should open up about a month.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby RebelYell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:52 am

I am going to be out visiting some friends in December at some point in Jackson. I would love to go on a duck hunt but problem is I will be flying out and won't really be able to bring any gear...haha. So if someone is feeling extremely charitable and has doubles of gear I would love to make it out on a hunt. I can obviously bring the smaller stuff (gloves, coat, etc) but i doubt I would be able to get gun and waders out there. I know its a really long shot but it would make my trip all the better. That place gets in your soul and won't let go... I miss it like crazy already

A duck trip could be accompanied by a nice dinner on me or something like that. Just a broke law schooler trying to have a little fun
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
RebelYell
hunter

Postby RebelYell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 pm

^ I lied...I would be more than willing to get my gun out there...no idea what I was thinking. but I will have to fly from LA to NC to WY so I probably still won't be able to get waders out there....

I know its a long shot but if anyone is willing, I would be ecstatic. Thanks fellas
RebelYell
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Game on Rebelyell, I have a gun you can use, and depending on how big you are I will have a pair of waders, coat, and whatever else you should need. Depending on when you are going to be here, I may be back in Iowa huntin whitetails from like the 5th through the 11th or 12th. You have any other buddies still livin out here? Did you hunt out here last year?
Thedozer
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Oh and I know exactly what pond you are talkin about up by buffalo valley road, We were going to ask if we could hunt it last year but we all had to get our stuff together and get ready to leave. We shot a few mallards last year castn and blastn the buffalo fork as well. Looks like it would be pretty descent once it got a little bit colder. Where did you work at?
Thedozer
hunter

Postby RebelYell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 am

Thedozer wrote:Game on Rebelyell, I have a gun you can use, and depending on how big you are I will have a pair of waders, coat, and whatever else you should need. Depending on when you are going to be here, I may be back in Iowa huntin whitetails from like the 5th through the 11th or 12th. You have any other buddies still livin out here? Did you hunt out here last year?

You are the best. I will be up after the 11th at some point because my last exam is on the 11th. I don't know if I will be up right after the 11th or right after Christmas. It depends on what my friends' schedule are like. I didn't hunt any when I was up there unfortunately. The only time I have been in that area was this May-July so the only thing available (to my knowledge) was chislers and coyotes. The only gun I had ready access to was my friend's .45 (not much point in shootin a chisler with that) so I never did pull a trigger. I did run into a fella with a .416 I wanted to shoot but never got the opportunity. And yea, I still have plenty of friends out there. I also have a cousin that lives in Jackson

Thedozer wrote:Oh and I know exactly what pond you are talkin about up by buffalo valley road, We were going to ask if we could hunt it last year but we all had to get our stuff together and get ready to leave. We shot a few mallards last year castn and blastn the buffalo fork as well. Looks like it would be pretty descent once it got a little bit colder. Where did you work at?

I worked up at Togwotee Mountain Lodge wranglin horses (greatest job I have ever had). Did a lot of riding around the buffalo fork up behind Angle Mountain and areas a bit further east of the parts down near Heart 6 ranch. Ill shoot you a PM
RebelYell
hunter

Postby estero » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Hello Gents,

I just moved to Wilson, WY.

I've got a gun but nothing else. I've done some upland hunting, but no duck/goose hunting. If anyone in the area would like to show me the ropes I will drive, buy shells, lunch, beers afterward.

I don't have waders, camo, or anything else. All I have is a gun and a good attitude.

If anybody is interested in going on a hunt with me, please let me know.

Thank you!
estero
Newb

Postby estero » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:00 pm

BTW,

I checked out the well known spot south of town yesterday. I think there was only one person or group hunting. I heard two gunshots, but I was too far away to see them.

I only saw a handful of ducks.

Is it OK to just post up in this area and start shooting? It is an area that is also used by people walking their dogs and bird watching.

Thanks!
estero
Newb

Postby Thedozer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm

estero, those ponds get hunted hard, I mean really hard early on. It is really good early on in the year but really slows off, you can sometimes get a honker or 2 work goin back to the crap ponds. its a little late now but we found a pile of them on the idaho/wyo border. where you workin at?
Thedozer
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Please buy a pair of waders or at least bring a fishing pole..If you shoot a duck over water, how are you going to retrieve it?
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 am

Ok, I gotta ask...what is a chisler?
i know exactly what you mean about the area getting inside you. I went out there about 11 yrs ago and it was like (don't mean to steal a line from John Denver, but..)coming home to a place I had never been before. I unfortunately came home for a girl. I can't say that if I had it to do over again I would change things since I met my wife just a year after coming back to Illinois, but I do miss the area and kinda wonder how things would have been if I had changed.
I worked at Grand Teton National Park RV Resort. If I remember correctly it was about 6 miles past the entrance to the Grand Teton park. Spent a lot of time driving through the Forrest Service land behind there. Was it the Hatchet Inn or Hatchet Cafe you went past on the Forrest Service road? As I remember it there were some hot hippy chicks that worked there when I was there. Also, drove up to the Continental Divide often and fished Wind River lake quite a bit. Oh, and I remember a cute little redhead that worked at the Moran junction post office...I believe her name was Betsy and her family owned a ranch somewhere in the area, but I think she was heading off to college the next fall. I remember a mexican place called three pigs or something, I once used the bathroom at the Wort, had a few shots at the Million Dollar Cowboy bar, and spent a lot of time at a gun shop that I can't remember the name of. Man, I loved that area.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting