Duck Hunting Forum banner

MB report

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  h2ofwlr 
#1 ·
Hunting was mixed in the last week.

Birds that were present 2 weeks ago mostly left. Especially southern MB where 8+" of snow fell almost 2 weeks ago. But even areas where it did not fall the birds left-like wholesale migration. An area that normally holds good #s of Snows was completely devoid of Snows :eek: But there were new duck and goose arrivals this past Thursday and Friday making for better #s seen.

I did OK, a mixed bag of Honkers, Lessers , Huthcies, S&Bs, Mallards and Pintail. I did not possession limit out on any--but 41 birds is good enough for me. I could have limited on ducks and darks but had a goose roost a 1/4 mile away so did not shoot the Mallards that were repeatedly at 10 yds Sat the first 45 minutes on Sat, instead waiting for the geese to come out, so that is hunting. :yes: and missed a few geese too.

Guides are encroaching more and more and becomming a problem in gaining access to feilds. :pissed: And the BSE (Mad Cow) hurt oppurtunities too (permission denied to Americans, and I hunted these farms previously, so a tough one). I can not nor do not blame the farmers/ranchers in regards to the BSE, as I too would be plenty POd if price went from $1.00 to .35. It really hurt the ranchers of CA because of the Big AG interests of USA influenced the US Farm Policy in regards the shipping the cattle into the US. (96% of the cattle in MB are processed in the US.). Most farmers/ranchers are holding on by a thread financially from what I could tell. :(

Overall all it was frustrating first 2 days (BSE and guides), but improved as the week wore on, so it turned into a decent hunt. I loved visiting with the local folks for sure. :thumbsup:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.