Sakatchewan

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Sakatchewan

Postby REM1100 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:05 am

How many of you are mking the trip to Saskatchewan this year?
I will be in East Central Oct 8 for a week
I will try to get a report on crop and bird outlook soon...
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Re: Sakatchewan

Postby Big Goose 25 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:50 pm

I will be in manitoba , oct 1 till oct 10, Its going to be great ,I have buddies that are in sakatchewan right now
Big Goose 25
hunter

Postby daLSUduckman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 pm

REM1100 wrote:How many of you are mking the trip to Saskatchewan this year?
I will be in East Central Oct 8 for a week
I will try to get a report on crop and bird outlook soon...

Hi REM,
We talked a few weeks ago on another forum and you provided me some great information about planning a trip to Saskatchewan. Our trip will be next year, but we are doing our research now so that we are well prepared. I tell you, the more I find out about it, the more Fired-Up I get about going! We were planning a two week trip in mid September, including travel time. That would give us a little over a week of hunting. I know that the types of crops, amount of water, and harvest time are big factors to a successful hunt. Do you think mid September is a good time, or would you recommend late September / early October? Thanks for all the tips!
Don't Know Until You Go - Gotta Be Present To Win
daLSUduckman
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:07 am

you want to be there when all the factors are in your favor
mid sept is a hit and miss as the local birds are using the fields closest to the roost that have been harvested and besides that the Guides usually controll these fields...mosquitoes are bad. You will see the local honkers some lessors and a trickle of snows and hardly any greenies and lots of sandhill cranes..very few hunters..slim pickings
Late Sept will see a change in weather condititons driving down some birds and maybe the crop is over 50% harvested and more fields are put in use furrther away from the roost
Early Oct sees the end of the harvest and farmers give permission better and the migration is at full swing and so are the motels and hotels with non resident hunters..looks like heavy competition but really there are more fields available for the birds and they get to move around and spread out and in larger flocks and use intermediate loafing/roost areas. There are more birds more variety and the birds don't have pin feathers. You will get an opportunity to pick more than one field as there is one big mess of birds and after Oct 15 you can hunt dark geese in the afternoon. Also believe it or not during scouting, I see lots of guys driving
around but in the morning I hardly hear any loud shots nearby as they may have picked other available fields somewhere else.
This year I will be up there Oct 10 for a week
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby daLSUduckman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:45 pm

REM, thanks once again for some A+ information! Good Luck on your trip and hunt. Hope to hear a successful report.
Don't Know Until You Go - Gotta Be Present To Win
daLSUduckman
hunter

Postby 2 labs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:38 pm

We will be arriving in West Central Saskatchewan NW of the Battlefords around Oct. 8th, this is our 6th year of going up there to hunt and we have not had a bad hunt yet. Hopefully the migration will be in full swing then, especially if the forecast around Yellowknife, NT holds true they were calling for highs in the 20's F and lows in teens and snow. Guess we will find out in a little over a week, our buddy who lives up there said they were a little behind with the harvest but we should be hitting about right. :clapping:
2 labs
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Yeah looks like the timing and nasty weather will be right..as there will be some fields behind schedule the geese will hang around and be in a new field like a dirty shirt giving more opps and field selection.
looks like I will be driving Oct 9 in rain /snow to East Central

Go get them and have a safe fruitfull hunt
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Canada Duck Hunting