Manitoba fields around the minnedosa pothole region?

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Manitoba fields around the minnedosa pothole region?

Postby pintail23 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:29 am

Me and my dad are booked with an outfitter for this coming fall. We have never been to canada and have always wanted to go. We are hunting we this outfitter for 2 days and are wanting to hunt one more day by ourselves. Because this will proably be our only time going to canada. we just want to hunt as much as we can. We are willing to pay a small fee for the use of a field or slough. we will respect your land and not tear it up at all. Thanks any help will be gladly appricated. :smile:
pintail23
hunter

Re: Manitoba fields around the minnedosa pothole region?

Postby REM1100 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Farmers are not allowed to accept money for hunting their land but you could get them a useful gift to show your appreciation like a dinner coupon.
By the time you spend time and scout and locate some birds in a pothole and have time to find permission then you have to set up and wait for the birds to return and you will run out of time...
In this situation it is best to book that outfitter for another day and ask him to work in some duck shoots as they usually do in the time prior to re-scouting in the afternoons.
Then once you learn you can apply that to freelance experience elsewhere
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby pintail23 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:25 pm

but outfitters are soooo expensive! do you know of any farmers that would be willing to let us hunt a field or slough one day???
pintail23
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:11 pm

The toughest part is scouting
Ducks are hard to find in big flocks in fields as they usually join in the deke (goose setup) in the mornings
Even if you found a slough the only effort would be to jump shoot them on a one shot basis
Your only option would be to time it right and get some northerners to migrate in and hit a nice pothole and set up once you have obtained permission as you must drive around and scout them first.
You could spend the time now and obtain some municapal land ownership maps, google earth satellite birdy places get a phone book and seek early permission and hope these potholes are going to hold ducks in that future time
You have to do your research and homework to get even a sniff of a chance to pull the trigger.
You have to practice your permission etiquette..all this come together thru experience and accumulation of time effort and some money.
Duck hunting is not a slam dunk sport and nobody is going to give up hotspots or disclose close farmer contacts
Have you asked what an extra morning would cost from the outfitter
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby pintail23 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks for telling me all of this. Yea its and an arm and a leg! But i really do appricate you letting me know this information.
pintail23
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting