lack of birds

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

lack of birds

Postby fido » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 am

Anyone else notice the lack of birds around? We're lucky if we shot 30 birds this year, and thats with four guys. Now there seems to be nothing around. Might be the wacko weather we're getting, one day 4'C next day 17'C. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues? And we are hunting the Sudbury area.
HOOKED ON QUACK
fido
hunter

Re: lack of birds

Postby Spunky » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Boy that's not what I want to hear. We usually get the birds from your area around the last of November. Haven't seen any great flocks of anything this far south yet. How about the swans, any come through yet? That's how I can tell the migration is in full swing when the swans come through about 2 weeks later the ducks and geese start to show up. So far this year it is a mirror of last year, hardly any birds at all, just the same local birds.
Spunky
hunter

Postby fido » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:36 pm

don't see too many swans around here, only four this year, but we don't shoot them, I'm pretty sure their a protected bird in these parts
HOOKED ON QUACK
fido
hunter

Postby adv sask » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:43 pm

must just be your area , out west there are piles of birds this year
adv sask
hunter

Postby Spunky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am

fido wrote:don't see too many swans around here, only four this year, but we don't shoot them, I'm pretty sure their a protected bird in these parts

They are protectd here also. Just one of the tools I use to check on the migration. Saw 4 medium size flocks his morning so I kind of answered my own question. They weren't flying very high so they must have stayed on larger lake farther up north of me.
Spunky
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting