Luther Marsh

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Luther Marsh

Postby dingbart » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Checked out the report for Luther (Grand River):
http://www.ducks.org/migrationmap/?poe=homeBanner

Gonna try it this week. Any advice?
dingbart
hunter

Re: Luther Marsh

Postby 1diverdown » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 am

Dude, if your gonna try hunting the luther be prepared. I kill alot of ducks and that place is tough. A good duck boat with a mud motor is an asset. only hunted there 8-10 times and the place ownes me. There is a ton on spots for ducks to hide so you'll need a motor to get around and into less pressured areas. the water is shallow and surprisingly large so it can get rough with some weather. I was out there two weeks ago in my layout boat and they were calling for 30km hour winds and instead we had gusts to 50km! took me an hour to clean up my decoys and managed to collect 3 inches of water in the bottom. literally got the sh*t kicked out of me. not sure if you've been there, but the place is loaded with stumps, logs, and basically dead trees everywhere. ducks tend to come from anywhere, so make sure wherever you shoot from, your able to swing a gun quickly. Good luck.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby dingbart » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Limited out on luther on sat. thanks for the warnings. I've got a 18foot mod-v with hd6000 mud buddy. in out was piece of cake. stumps rocks and everything in between was no problem. But i can understand if u have a small boat and outboard/electric ur not going too far.
dingbart
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Really? did you hunt the sanctuary? Thats exactly what you need to kill em there.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby dingbart » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 pm

LOL...no I was outside the sanctuary. I stumbled upon "where they hide". What r u running in the marsh? I hunt simcoe and scugog alot...usually 50-50. After they freeze over I move over to lake O until end of season.
dingbart
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:40 pm

I bought a marsh rat from mallard marine a couple of years ago. cool little boat if you haven't seen them. put out 2 dz bluebills and a dozen mallards, a higdon pulsator, and a mojo spinner. have to organize it right because the boats only 9.5 ft but it hides real well. haven't hunted scugog this year, but move around the Kawarthas quite a bit. heading down to rice lake this weekend. we've had some success down there late season, it's gonna blow 30+ most of the weekend, so they should move well.
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby dingbart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Hmmm...looks kinda cool. But I'm not sure u could convince me to take that out if it's "blowing 30+" on a lake.

How did u do on Rice? I was N.W around Grey Bruce and it was freezing up pretty fast. But tons of birds.
dingbart
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:28 am

Pretty hairy.It was gusting Saturday morning up to 50. we crossed the channel and were met with 5.5 ft rollers. needless to say it was a quiet boat ride. set up on the mouth of a bay where we saw 150 + divers fri afternoon. ended up with 9 birds between the two of us, but it was snowing sideways. some of the shittiest stuff I`ve been out in, in years ( and they say your supposed to get smarter as you get older.35 and as dumb as ever. lmao).when the inside of the bay we were hunting froze over, the wind blew all that slushy stuff right into the decoys, and ruined our hunt. decoys flipped over, and bunched up on us. Sunday morning we were invited to join a friend of my buddies to shoot an island blind up near hastings. what a set up this guy had, but the birds didn`t fly real well. the guys`hunted it hard saturday though. still came away with 4 mallards,2 whistlers, and 4 geese, between my buddy and I. Nice old guy that hosted us didn`t really even shoot! Spent most of the morning picking up our birds with the boat. gonna try again this weekend and I think it will be the last. might be a bit challenging to find an open launch though. did you guys`hunt a field. should hit the luther one last time this weekend, I bet you you would slaughter em. They can get just about anything fly though there this time of year.I`m told even the odd canvasback!
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby dingbart » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 pm

LOL :lol: ...luther...it's done buddy...frozen over or pretty close to it. I'll probably hit Simcoe. Heard lots of cans flying there. :grooving: Couldn't do it last 2 weeks because of the wind.
dingbart
hunter

Postby vtx1800lover » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello guys

Achie here , new to the form today.From Cobourg Ontario.

Strange to chat about Luther. I have been going to Luther with my dad since the 60's

In the comming days I will post some old photos from luther in the 60's and 70's. Ive seen the skies turn black with duck and geese over the years. Hell we use to hunt when no goose hunting was allowed. Its been awhile since I ast hunted Luther but I here now you must get in early to hunt as ista a lotery now, tell me if Im wrong please.

Luther back in the days of the 50's is flooded farmland to be used as a sanctuary for the then declining goose and duck population in that region of Ontario. LOts of stumps and rocks not to mention a railway line that is still there.We used to hunt frequently on Windmill island and have many a good days hunt wiht lots of limits. I have never shot a goos to this very day but hope to change that int the new season.

Cheers, be safe and have a great hunt, Archie
vtx1800lover
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 am

Archie,

Looking forward to seeing those pics. I hunt the luther a bit. I think your right about the lottery but it only applies to opening day. I've never been a fan of opening day over there anyway. i do a fine enough job putting holes in my own decoys, So I spend my time there in oct/nov.
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting