Martin hands reins to Harper

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 am

Jan. 24, 2006. 10:53 AM

OTTAWA (CP) — Paul Martin has informed Gov. General Michaelle Jean that he's vacating the prime minister's job after Monday's Conservative election victory.

Martin, 67, told Jean of his intention to resign by telephone this morning.

The call was the first formal act in the transition of power from the Liberals to a Conservative minority government under Stephen Harper, 46.

Harper's Tories won 124 of Parliament's 308 seats, while the Liberals took 103, the Bloc Quebecois 51 and the New Democrats 29.

There was one independent elected.

Congratulations!! I know this is what many of you had wanted!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:55 pm

I have question for the Canadians, the New Democrats, where do they stand politically in the mix of things? And they other 1 looks as if they are part of the Seperation movement of Quebec breaking off from CA I would think, how are they on the Gun Control and fiscal measures? I'm just trying to learn a something new today about the neighboring Country. :smile:

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:56 pm

YEA!! :getdown: :getdown: I was expecting Canada to be a little more friendly to the conservatives, but a minority government is a step in the right direction for this country.(now it's up to our new prime minister to prove he has what it takes to bring this country back to greatness.) Once again, Paul Martin and the libs promised the world to Toronto and it payed off.( The libs won every seat in Toronto except for two, which went to the NDP and a big 0 to the conservatives.)

A2, you are correct when you assume that the bloc Quebecois has a sepratist belief, it was one of the policies they ran on. As for their stance on gun control, I can not tell you, they are really of no issue outside of Quebec. The NDP (New Democrat Party) in their words are the party for the working people. I find this to be quite funny as our provincial government in Manitoba has the NDP in power and they are anything but for the working people. They are a pro union, anti-business party that seems to think the "tax and spend, tax and spend" way of governing is good for the businesses and people of our province. The federal branch of the NDP are pro gun control as well.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:13 pm

This is not as good as I had hoped. A small step in the right direction but it looks like we will have another election within 2 to 3 years. From appearance the scare tactics of the Liberals over the last 2 weeks of the campaign paid off with a shift in popular vote.

For Admin 2 - The NDP are the very far left. Very strong beliefs in the Koyoto accord, big governement, public health care (always and at any cost), government day care, gun control, not all crime is the fault of the criminal etc.

I would interested in feedback from the folks in Atlantic Canada as to why the Conservatives did not show well. My thoughts are that this goes back to a comment from Harper a number of years ago on the work ethic.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Oldducknut » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:02 am

I did my part to elect a PC government but the problem in the east is the fact we are small demographically by comparison and once a segment of the community gets entrenched behind a personality they become stubborn to change. I live in the riding of Kings Hants-Colin Bryson-member of parliment-relelected- Openly Gay -crossed the floor from PC to Liberal and still my fellow residents of the community stand behind him.
It would take a like many other ridings (NDP Alexa McDonah for one )to either voluntarily retire or die in office before anyone else would get in.
Its almost a guarenteed lifetime political career in these parts. sad but true :pissed:
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:03 am

The biggest problem in Atlantic Canada is our inherent resistance to change and alot of people vote the same way as their parents and grand parents voted/ party politics. Newfoundland went red as they got all the consessions on off-shore oil rights they were looking for where as the rest of us got shafted constantly by the Fed's so I have no idea as to why there was not more of a shift towards the PC's (Politically Correct Party) other than the fear of the unknown and Harpers pro West/ anti East idealology which he portrayed in the past. Now it is up to the PC's to gain the confidence of the Atlantic Provinces and to make good on their election platforums. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Greg do you think if the PC's deliver on their platform, stay on a moderate road and treat the next 2 to 3 years as a long election run up they will actually stand a chance for a break through in Atlantic Canada or cities like Toronto?

Hugh
(A frustrated PC supporter).
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm

If they stay as honest as they can and make good on 1/2 of the things they promissed. Put the teeth back in the law and put funding in the proper places, such as education, transportation (decent highways), health care and restructure/rebuild our millitary then I think that they will not only win more seats in the Atlantic Provinces but right across the nation. And no I don't want to run for election :laughing:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Greg - I had my cheque book ready to write one for your election run right up to the last sentence. === :laughing:
I would know for sure that you had political asperations if you started === I am a lawyer seeking to improve the state of the country - blah, blah
Take care - and good note on the snotty rabbit.
Hugh
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:58 am

:mrgreen: No political aspirations here. Just an average middle class working stiff trying to survive in our land of freedom as long as I can pay!

Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting