Sask teal

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Sask teal

Postby swifthunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm

There are a ton of teal and a few more bigger puddlers that have showed up in the last week or so. Most are in sloughs in the fields where there isnt much cover other than short grass and weeds. The water is maybe only a foot deep at the most. How would you hunt these ducks? I have lay out blinds, a mojo and some floating mallard decoys but there isnt really any dry places close to Is it a waste of time trying to hunt these birds or is there a way that Im not thinking of as I have never really hunted ducks over any sort of water before.
swifthunter
hunter

Re: Sask teal

Postby Sask hunter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Geeze thats a tough one. I imagine you don't wan't to lay in the mud and water so that takes out decoys. Maybe you could jump them. Our ducks are doing the same thing right now, I am hoping with crop coming off mallards and pinnys will start hitting the fields soon. if not I will be jumping opening day (unless I find a good goose field)
Sask hunter
hunter

Re: Sask teal

Postby lbhatty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 pm

I have been faced with the same problem.Long term solution where I have wet cover is an Otter Stealth which has extrodinary stability. If the cover is sparse or short I find a piece of plywood about 30x48 inches and lay it flat in the shallow water.This gives you a place to stand and room to put a 5 gal. bucket for a seat.Of course you will need your waders. You will be low and it takes very little to hide. Done this many times and it usually works well.
lbhatty
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting