Duck Hunting Forum banner

Going to Leader, SK

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Sask hunter 
#1 ·
Im driving up to Leader, Sk from florida. Going 9/21 to 9/30. Im sure its going to take us 2-3 days to drive. I have a friends farm to hunt on with alot of water. We want to hunt ducks and geese but I dont have any goose decoys. I thought about buying some for the trip. Any suggestions what I should do or need to bring some geese in? Also, how many dozen duck decoys should we use. In florida after the ducks been pressured we use small spreads. I would think I need to throw a huge spread out. Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
Not sure the snows will be there that early, plus they are a pain in the butt to hunt if you don't have lots of dekes and/or rags. Lots of eyes looking you over! Ducks will decoy to a few snow dekes in the fields early a.m. as well as Canada dekes. (If you do use snows and Canadas, don't put em together....seperate the groups.

That part of the province is pretty good for specklebellys. Take a speck call with you as well as a good Honker call. Don't be afraid to blow it all the way to the shot. Practice up now! Double Cluck is a good inexpensive clucker call,(Suck in, blow out rapidly) and sounds good at glide in.

That is only a week after the season opens so the decoying should be easy. That early, you'll probably be getting locally raised ducks from the area that are not quite in full 'dress'.

Hope those folks had a better planting season than our friends in the eastern side of the province. They only got 5% seeded. Get your friend to call up and try to lock up some pea fields to hunt when you get there. They are deadly and the ducks love em! Have his friends spot some Canadas feeding in fields a couple of days before you arrive. Ride in the field mid day and check were the poop is to pinpoint the X. Use the old thumb & forefinger for freshness. They won't move unless they get run off. Be there the next morning! You can only hunt Canadas in the morning the early part of the season, prior to Mid October.

#5 ·
There arent a lot of Canadas around that area, they are mostly specks with a few snows mixed in. If you can get some white front decoys before you cross the border they are a lot cheaper. Sillosock speck decoys work pretty good there as it takes quite a few decoys to bring the birds in because they are usually in pretty big flocks. Thats what I have found but it just might be me. If you want to hunt cranes there are a lot around there as well. Farmers are having a great year this year with bumper crops, all though the low spots never got seeded. I have never hunted ducks in that area so Im not sure what to expect for numbers or anything from them but I can imagine that there should be a lot around as they had a great breeding year and there are a ton around. I know that they get quite a few north of the river but not sure whats on that side.

#8 ·
Don't rely on your friends farm . That is not how it works in Sk.You can only hunt geese in the am. at that time of the year but thats ok.You can probably limit on geese in the morning if you put in some scout time.The Country is vast and the birds move.Mid morning and late afternoon are the times to scout.Ask neighbors andfolks at the local store if the birds are around. Believe it or not they will put you on birds. Drive,drive, drive and look for feeding birds.Every Rural Municipality(canadian for county) has an office that acts like a county seat. Stop by and ask for a property map. About 10 bucks. It will have the name of every property owner.Get a phonebook and call for permission.Permission is almost always readily given.Your best bet is field hunting.Two or three dozen goose shells behind two dozen field mallards is all you should need . Layout blinds are a must.Just get set up early .Ducks will buzz you at about shooting time.Always set up with the wind at exactly the same spot you saw the birds feedingthe day before.The snows can be great but if this is your first trip I would save them for anouther trip. Snows require special equipment and lots of it. But if you are covered up with them, they can be hunted in the afternoon. So. if you just can't stand it ,buy a bundle of dowels and a large roll of kitchen size white trash bags ,borrow a portable cassette player and a snow goose tape and you are in buisness(been there and done that)

#10 ·
Snows can be hunted all day east of 106 degrees latitude ( which is about 25 miles east of Saskatoon. Leader is west of that line so you cannot hunt snow geese in the afternoon prior to Oct 15. Oct 15 all geese can be hunted in the afternoon. Simple getup for snows is to buy a disposable painters white coveralls and hood for $4 and lay in the field with the decoys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.