Duck Hunting Forum banner

Saskkatchewan hunt ???

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Goldy777 
#1 ·
I will be arriving in Saskatoon Oct 16.Never hunted waterfowl in Sask. before.
The guide says we are hunting about 1.5 hrs away from Saskatoon. I have no idea where.
What can we expect huntwise as far as mallards , Canadas, Speks, Snows ?
What about weatherwise also??

Thanks for any info.

#3 ·
Sask is right on. Oct 16 will put you right in the full moon. Being 1.5 hours away that could put you in the area I would be leaving by then "The Quill Lakes" maybe or perhaps some wheres between Rosetown and Kindersley..jjust guessing. Good Luck!

#5 ·
I will be arriving in the Humboldt area first week in Oct. and hunted in short sleeve shirts and two years ago same time it snowed everyday and never got above 25. Be prepared for any weather is critical. We don't use a guide and 80% of our harvest is dark geese. We put alot of miles on the vehicles scouting. Good luck and your trip will be absolutely amazing.

#8 ·
I will be arriving just south of at the same time.
Two years ago the first week of Oct it was bitter cold and snowing and we got into the only major flock. Th rest of the migration didn't come until the end of Oct.
This year is different as the farmers have a bumper crop and i the weather has some warm dry spells, they will be pretty close t be on time. I hope the weather is moderate as I don't want to the see the sandhill cranes heading south like two years ago.
Just a pack along a pair of long johns, camo cargo pants, one short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a hoody ,a down vest and a weatherproof camo bomber jacket and some gloves, heavy work socks , hiking boot, hunting boot and you should be good to go.

#11 ·
I don't want to arrive later than the first wek of October as I love sandhill crane shooting, Yes they are legal game. After the second week of October they usually head south along with some snows. However the big honkers and mallards will come down from the North.

#12 ·
The timing of the migration south out of Saskatchewan depends largely on two factors. Time of year and food availability. As far as geese, heavy snow in the beginning of October doesn't usually send the majority south unless the snow lasts more than three days on the ground. As long as there are hills on grain fields that melt off during the day, birds will stay around in early October. A heavy storm during the middle or end of October will send a lot of birds south to the snow line though. To sum it up, as long as they can find food they will stay, they aren't in any hurry to leave Sask.. As for ducks, mallards will stick around as long as they can find water. When the water freezes, the ducks leave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.