Winnipeg Manitoba Netley Marsh Area

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Winnipeg Manitoba Netley Marsh Area

Postby Wilsona018 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Planning on making a trip up there this month, just curious what to expect? i have heard mixed things some say the area is hot some say it has dwindled over the last few years?

Also any advice on crossing the border? things to remeber or things to avoid. planning on bringing a dog.

thanks,
Wilsona018
hunter

Re: Winnipeg Manitoba Netley Marsh Area

Postby old Iowa guy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 pm

We have hunted Saskatchewan for years but two years ago decided to hunt Netley in Manitoba. Went third week October. There were absolutely no mallards on Netley. We tried field hunting around Oak Hammock. The outfitters have ALL and I mean ALL the good fields leased up for the season. The farmers were rude as hell. They would shout through the door "WE"RE BOOKED" and not even have the courtesy to come to the door. When we got far enough away from Oak Hammock we could find places to hunt but the birds were few and far between. I never will go back to Manitoba. If you have any questions call me at 972-754-5493. I live in Texas so it's a long drive. We are strictly freelance and I hate outfitters.
old Iowa guy
Newb

Postby IAQuacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Definitely would NOT recommend Manitba. Hard to get places to hunt & too few birds in fields. Marsh is only so so. Shot a few ducks & no geese. Should have saved my vacation time and hunted in Iowa...had more & better shooting around home.

For Canada, I've had great luck in SK and Alberta. Alberta is the real sleeper in my opinion! Ton's of ducks, geese (honkers, snows, & specs) and best of all no pressure. We never even saw another group of hunters.
IAQuacker
Newb

Postby neapew » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

You need to go further north alot of geese and ducks here.
neapew
hunter

Postby gatorhunter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:13 pm

old Iowa guy wrote:There were absolutely no mallards on Netley. We tried field hunting around Oak Hammock. The outfitters have ALL and I mean ALL the good fields leased up for the season. The farmers were rude as hell. They would shout through the door "WE"RE BOOKED" and not even have the courtesy to come to the door. When we got far enough away from Oak Hammock we could find places to hunt but the birds were few and far between. I never will go back to Manitoba.

Interestingly enough, many folks from the U.S. come back to the Netley/Oak Hammock areas of Manitoba every fall. I don't know what you did to p.o. the landowners that you speak of because there isn't a farmer around there that doesn't allow hunters. Outfitters DO NOT have all the fields locked up. Get out and do your scouting, find the farmer then go kill birds. If you want to shoot over water, you'll get them in the Netley/Libau marsh. There are also the Shoal Lakes just a little west of N/L marsh.
gatorhunter
hunter

Postby recker » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Isnt Netley like Delta Marsh in that the high water over the last thirty years degraded the marsh of food and cover? I think that is what I have read before in that you get to hear lots of stories from the old timers but not such a great marsh anymore. If I were going to Canada I would go to Sask.
recker
hunter

University of Manitoba or University of Winnipeg? (for under

Postby Latoria Copley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 am

I've been accepted by both these universities, but i cannot decide which one to go for. I will be going for my undergraduate studies. Though University of Manitoba is larger and more renowned, University of Winnipeg focuses primarily on undergraduate studies(Maclean's magazine ranked the university in the top ten of all Canadian universities whose primary focus is undergraduate education).

Winnipeg garbage removal
Latoria Copley
Newb

Return to Canada Duck Hunting