Feb New Brunswick Eiders

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Feb New Brunswick Eiders

Postby Lake O Hunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Does anybody on here hunt them in Feb? Do people hunt from the shore like they do in Maine? I am going to be up that way in Feb and would like to give it a whirl; are there any outfitters that hunt the February season? I appreciate any tips that you guys can provide.
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Re: Feb New Brunswick Eiders

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:02 pm

They do it three different ways. Sinkboxes, layout, and from shore
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Lake O Hunter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:06 am

very cool...I can gear there, but not a sink box or lay out boat during the Feb season...was trying to figure out if I can do a free lance hunt w/o an outboard boat.
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:57 am

Just keep an eye on your tides...set up on points or bays and stuff like that.Or set up over muscle beds...where they are feeding.
You can't free lance...non residents need a guide.
You should be able to google NB outfitters. I'm originally from NB...but I lived on the east coast, but the better eider hunting is done on the southern coast on or near Passamaquaddy Bay, Deer Island or Grand Manan Island and or the Bay of Fundy
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Gimpster » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:05 am

I hunt Eiders Frequently in Feb. We mostly set up on a point where the birds are working and set out a Gang rog of about 12-20 dekes. Hide behind the seaweed and rocks at low tide, watch the tide, it comes up fast. Grand Manan is pretty awesome and I am pretty sure there is some guides there or St. Andrews has some guides. Just google it or even check with Kijiji. It's too bad you need a guide, should be able to just buy a license and go like some other provinces, but the Gov here does't see Nat Resources as a revenue stream worth investigating I don't think. At any rate, just wear some dark cloths and don't move much, keen eyes late season. No need to call. I have heard of some guys just using javex bottles for decoys, never tried it myself, but a cheap alternative.

Good Luck!
Gimpster
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Gimpster wrote:I hunt Eiders Frequently in Feb. We mostly set up on a point where the birds are working and set out a Gang rog of about 12-20 dekes. Hide behind the seaweed and rocks at low tide, watch the tide, it comes up fast. Grand Manan is pretty awesome and I am pretty sure there is some guides there or St. Andrews has some guides. Just google it or even check with Kijiji. It's too bad you need a guide, should be able to just buy a license and go like some other provinces, but the Gov here does't see Nat Resources as a revenue stream worth investigating I don't think. At any rate, just wear some dark cloths and don't move much, keen eyes late season. No need to call. I have heard of some guys just using javex bottles for decoys, never tried it myself, but a cheap alternative.

Good Luck!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:41 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:Just keep an eye on your tides...set up on points or bays and stuff like that.Or set up over muscle beds...where they are feeding.
You can't free lance...non residents need a guide.
You should be able to google NB outfitters. I'm originally from NB...but I lived on the east coast, but the better eider hunting is done on the southern coast on or near Passamaquaddy Bay, Deer Island or Grand Manan Island and or the Bay of Fundy

Highest tides in the world at or near 28 feet in Saint John higher elsewhere, see below Lost

http://www.pbase.com/kiml/the_hopewell_rocks
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting