North Bay Ontario? Or Lake of the Woods?

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

North Bay Ontario? Or Lake of the Woods?

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Hey guys im not from Canada but my neighbor is and i was wondering if any of you guys have heard of North Bay Ontario? Or my dad and the hunting guys go to Lake of the Woods i think in Ontario every year for hunting and fishing anyone heard of it?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Oldducknut » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:25 pm

Im not from Ont. either, but we used to travel every year through North Bay to a place called Kirkland Lake.

There is many a little community situated between North Bay and Kirkland and most offered guiding services of one kind or another .
Moose /Blackbear/Fishing its all there.
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:29 pm

From what I understand, a lot of folks hunt Lake of the Woods and get some pretty good diver action. As always, it's location, location, location. LOW is a pretty big lake, with lot's of islands. Easy to get lost on her without the appropriate equimpment. (at the very least a compass and a map)
On the upside, because it is a pretty big lake you can often find relative solitude.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:11 pm

Yea theres a pretty cool story to Lake of the Woods and how i know about it.

One of the hunting guys the pack leader well his father was just looking at a newspaper one day and read a tiny add that said free land lake of the woods canada. So he drove up there and found out if you live on a piece of land for 3 months its yours for free. So him and his wife bought a small little boat and searched and found a perfect island. He had a contracter lay down 3x3 foundation (i think its 3x3 all i know is that it was real small) and he build a little shack. Its on its own island and since then its just been added onto and is now a hunting cabin with private dock and everything. The only thing he had to pay for was the shack!

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mallardman77 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:27 pm

I've done lots of fishing on lake of the woods when I was younger. Great smallmouth and walleye fishing! My city is only about 2 hours from Kenora, Ontario which sits on the north shore of the lake. Beautiful country up in that area. Oh yeah, property on that lake is worth tons of money now!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:26 pm

You betcha. I just thought that was an awsome story he probably paid 100 bucks for the island. What do you suggest for walleye in lake of the woods? Just jigheads with a minnow on em?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Jigging with a minnow should be alright, but I'd try out a Lindy rig with a nightcrawler too. We used to get lots of walleye off a lindy rig and worm. I haven't been fishing on that lake in 6 or 7 years now, but i'm sure things haven't changed.

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mallardman77 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:34 am

Thats the one Goosbey!

Good luck.

mallardman77
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting