Getting into canada

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Getting into canada

Postby Shoveler » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm

I was charged with contributing alcohol to a minor the minor being 18 . I was wondering how they would view that at the border since you can drink at the age of 18 where I'm going
Shoveler
hunter

Re: Getting into canada

Postby Blindman2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm

The best way to determine your status is to contact a Canada border crossing and ask them the question. I know that where I live, the biggie is having a DUI on your record. Good luck!
Blindman2
Newb

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 am

Call ahead and get what they refer to as a "pardon". I know guys who thought they were going caribou hunting until they got to the border. They will turn you away if you don't have your affairs in order.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:41 am

For $200 you can send in an application for "rehabilitation" and if approved, you can enter Canada. Certain convictions require a 5 year time since conviction and some a 10 year. I have seen several people turned away at the port of entry who were in the line, ahead of us, for various prior offenses in the 27 years I have been going up to hunt. Here's some interesting reading on the subject:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:52 pm

tenfingers has the right way to do it do not go to the border guys to find out send an application in and find out for sure, less disappointment.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Bluesky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 am

It is very important to have your visa to enter Canada, if you have that then most likely you will have no problems entering Canada. We have clients that are denied each year for usually a DUI or possession of drugs convictions, even with a visa. It is easier to enter Canada when flying then driving into Canada. A pardon by a judge for a conviction of a crime in the US is not necessarily accepted by the customs officials at the border they have last say as to who is allowed to enter or not. A DUI in the states is a mister meaner in Canada is is a federal offence, so each country can view the same crime differently in the eyes of the law.
Bluesky
hunter

Postby Rooster Cogburn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 pm

This will depend on what your sentence was, how long ago this was and if you have any other criminal convictions (felony or misdemeanor). It also has to equate to an offence in Canada. I would call the border crossing you are thinking of using and talking to an immigration officer.

-Rooster
Rooster Cogburn
Newb

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:00 am

Call this Canadian Boarder Crossing in North Portal..........1-306-927-2455.... Good Luck
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Steel Workin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 am

Went through in September no problem! I have not been a
Saint. The gentlemen we went with have been going up for 30+
years. There advice was just be honest!
Steel Workin
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting