SASK Advice

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

SASK Advice

Postby quadejagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 am

Group of us are planning on going up again this year around the first or second week of October. Heading about an hour and a half north east of Saskatoon. Was wondering what conditions and what the hunting will be like in early october in this area. Traditionally we go in late september, but because of work and timing issues we have to push the trip back a couple weeks. Any advice or tips would be appreaciated. I was thinking we might miss some snow geese action but pick up some better honker action. Thanks in advance.
quadejagger
hunter

Re: SASK Advice

Postby Mndukhntr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

For about 10 years, I went the last week of September, and again in mid October. Always went to the Quill Lakes area, which is right about where you will be. Generally speaking, there were plenty of geese around, both snows and Canadas. But the ducks.....oh my. Drakes of all species were in full plumage. They were beautiful!
Mndukhntr
hunter

Postby quadejagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 am

mnduckhntr,

we will be north west of Quill be about 1 1/2 hours. Do you think we will hit the peak migration from the north for big honks and ducks in the first to second week of October?
quadejagger
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm

If you are heading 1.5 hrs NE of Saskatoon ? That way above Quill Lake Area you are heading to Prince Albert
War Wagon
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 am

Looks like your up in the Melfort, Nipawin maybe Lake Lenore. The peak snow migration is about Oct. 1-7. Snows move about 100 miles/week south in Sask.
You could be just a week past the peak snow migration, perfect timing for greenies and you may see some Big Canadas coming from the north, maybe the odd speck but the sandhill cranes will be moving down south, upland game will group up and fly a half mile, tough to approach. By the way the full moon ends Oct. 3. I will be the Quill lakes in time for Thanksgiving Oct. 7.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby quadejagger » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am

War Wagon, REM1100

We will be closer to PA than to lake lanore, or melfort. I wouldn't mind getting on one good snow goose hunt even if we have to uproot from where we are staying by PA and make the 1 1/2 to 2 hour trip down around the Quill lake, Lake Lanore area. More going to concentrate on Honkers and Ducks. Just wondering if that second week in October is going to get me what i need. I know that it all depends on weather, just trying to maximize my good days while im there.

THanks for the help.
quadejagger
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 pm

REM1100 wrote:Looks like your up in the Melfort, Nipawin maybe Lake Lenore. The peak snow migration is about Oct. 1-7. Snows move about 100 miles/week south in Sask.
You could be just a week past the peak snow migration, perfect timing for greenies and you may see some Big Canadas coming from the north, maybe the odd speck but the sandhill cranes will be moving down south, upland game will group up and fly a half mile, tough to approach. By the way the full moon ends Oct. 3. I will be the Quill lakes in time for Thanksgiving Oct. 7.

Quiet about that Melfort area.

We have it planned for the last two weeks of September. We are the second group of hunters staying in the house we rent. We always have a couple slow days, and hear stories about the guys befor us killing them. But then, we find them and we wear them out.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:03 pm

We use to go the 2nd and 3rd week in Oct. It can get real interesting, one year we were staying in the Foam Lake Area, we woke up to 12" of snow. This was the second week in October. Dam that put a damper on hunting. All water was freezing and fields were covered. We saw the migration start that morning, they were gone. Spent one more day scouting and finaly said "follow the flock" we went south till snow was gone and found them. We had a Great hunt, but going that time of the year you have to be able to move your location. We now go in Sept :smile:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby F250 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 am

Jaysweet3 - do you stay with the at the butcher's place with the "old guys" from Ill. ? The group leader used to shoot in competition. If it's the same group, I took him on a marsh hunt a few years ago before the rest of his group arrived - used my canoe and hunted over my Chessie.
F250
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:36 am

F250 wrote:Jaysweet3 - do you stay with the at the butcher's place with the "old guys" from Ill. ? The group leader used to shoot in competition. If it's the same group, I took him on a marsh hunt a few years ago before the rest of his group arrived - used my canoe and hunted over my Chessie.

No, but I've heard of those guys. We actually stay in the land of Rape and Honey. I won't use the name, we've started to see more competition there. And beleive it or not, there aren't a ton of birds. We've been seeing one or two huntable groups of birds. It takes some doing to be able to hunt them more than once, sometimes three times.

If your up in that area, beers might be in order.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby F250 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:07 am

I've been staying with the same farm family for about 15 years. I'll be there for the first two weeks of October.
F250
hunter

Postby elfros » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:37 am

my experience the later you go in october the better with running the risk of snow
some times all the snows and cranes have bugged out of the quill area but the honkers and big ducks stay as long as the find food and open water
shooting ducks in a canadian snow storm is wild ! call and a spinner is all you really need in those conditions :thumbsup:
elfros
hunter

Postby quadejagger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 am

Has anyone been seeing any Honkers in the Prince Albert Area. Heard a rumor that they all ready came through and are down by the Quill lakes/ Lake Lanore/ Humboldt area, any truth to this. Would like to know any information you have as we leave this week to head up in those areas.

THanks
quadejagger
hunter

Postby elfros » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:52 am

what we heard was the snows have piled in the quills but the canada geese and big ducks have not moved in yet
elfros
hunter

Postby quadejagger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Elfros

THanks for the info. Kinda seems we have heard the opposite of each other. Any one else heard anything, or have you just got back and can tell us for sure. Thanks for the info in advance.
quadejagger
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting