Info on getting into Canada w/ a previous DUI

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Postby kfehrma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm

A group of buddies and i are planning a trip to Saski to duck hunt. My question is one of the guys going has had a DUI about 7 years ago and we had heard he might have trouble getting in. Does anyone have any info on this or any numbers that he can call to find out any info. Thanks Fellas
kfehrma
hunter

Postby thebandit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey will have to have a pass port that will make it real easy to get it
thebandit
hunter

Postby thebandit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Last time I went one of the people with me had previous charges I didn't have a passport then and they told me that it was ok just had to get an ok from a supervisor and he had to buy a visa
thebandit
hunter

Re: Info on getting into Canada w/ a previous DUI

Postby let them work » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I read online that Canada will waive the $200 dispensation fee or pardon fee to help boast tourism. This is for once a year. You can read about it on their website. If the offense is over a certain time then ou can qualify. What I don't know is do you need to take care of it prior to going to the border or do they make the call when you get there. I'm going to call the border to find out unless somebody has done it already. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, whats the deal with hunter safety cards? Do you need to carry a copy to hunt in Canada?
let them work
Newb

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Here is a Boarder Crossing # you can call, maybe they can help you....Good Luck 1=306-927-2455
War Wagon
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I'd want to call ahead and make sure. It would suck to get turned around at the crossing, while your buddies go on to hunt.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Rooster Cogburn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm

I'll lay out your options:

For a DUI you are deemed rehabilitated (and allowed into Canada) 10 years after the last day of your sentence (assuming you had a sentence that is). You must also have not committed any other crimes in this time period. If you have, things get more complicated. Things are also complicated by other charges that occured prior to your DUI depending on what the charges are.

Now since you say the DUI is 7 years old you can apply for personal rehabilitation (you may apply 5yrs after the last day of the sentence). If you are approved you can come to Canada. The application can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... ehabil.asp

Another option is you just show up at the border crossing and ask for a Temporary Resident Permit. While there is new leway to offer these permits, there is no law that says the officer must offer you this option. This option is a bit risky because of this. One officer may allow you in, another might not. If you are granted this option by the officer it costs $200.00. Other charges will likely affect the officers decision here.

If you know where you are crossing the border I can supply you with the phone number for that port an you can talk to an immigration officer. PM me if you like. I know this info as its my job, that being said I would still advise you to call the specific port you are crossing at.

If your record is expunged or deffered or something like that the officer can ask for you to provide proof of this (aka bring your record in paper form from the juridiction from where you were charged).

-Rooster
Rooster Cogburn
Newb

Postby Woody Slayer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm

I got a assault charge when I was 18, I can't even think about crossing the border. Even though it was 110% self defence on my part, Because I gave the guy a black eye, busted lip and knocked him out colder then a mackeral, despite the fact he threatened me with a knife! It was all my fault because he came out on the wrong end of his stupid decision...Yep! That's Canada for you right there! Oh, forgot to mention haha...He got off with nothin more then a slap on the hand warning from the judge.

On another awesome story of the land of the free, my girlfriend who Is from Califonia came here to live with me. Her mother come to visit and she had a previous DUI like your friend, They told her she could stay one whole day If she paid the $200 dollar fee...I live In canada, and I love my land. But seriously, our government is a huge joke! They blow!
Woody Slayer
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Rooster Cogburn wrote:I'll lay out your options:

For a DUI you are deemed rehabilitated (and allowed into Canada) 10 years after the last day of your sentence (assuming you had a sentence that is). You must also have not committed any other crimes in this time period. If you have, things get more complicated. Things are also complicated by other charges that occured prior to your DUI depending on what the charges are.

Now since you say the DUI is 7 years old you can apply for personal rehabilitation (you may apply 5yrs after the last day of the sentence). If you are approved you can come to Canada. The application can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... ehabil.asp

Another option is you just show up at the border crossing and ask for a Temporary Resident Permit. While there is new leway to offer these permits, there is no law that says the officer must offer you this option. This option is a bit risky because of this. One officer may allow you in, another might not. If you are granted this option by the officer it costs $200.00. Other charges will likely affect the officers decision here.

If you know where you are crossing the border I can supply you with the phone number for that port an you can talk to an immigration officer. PM me if you like. I know this info as its my job, that being said I would still advise you to call the specific port you are crossing at.

If your record is expunged or deffered or something like that the officer can ask for you to provide proof of this (aka bring your record in paper form from the juridiction from where you were charged).

-Rooster

So going across the border with a Visa, they actually check everyone's background?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby wired leader » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Woody Slayer wrote:
On another awesome story of the land of the free, my girlfriend who Is from Califonia came here to live with me. Her mother come to visit and she had a previous DUI like your friend, They told her she could stay one whole day If she paid the $200 dollar fee...I live In canada, and I love my land. But seriously, our government is a huge joke! They blow!

Have you tried getting into the U.S. lately?...Same story
Coincidentally you posted your comment on 9-11 which is reason for all the nightmare border crossings.
Not that I'm saying we don't have to be more vigilant, but it is like every crossing is a Checkpoint Charlie.
wired leader
Newb

Postby Woody Slayer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 am

Man I'm not even aloud to think about crossing the border, if I do I get treated like a criminal :mad:
Woody Slayer
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting