Area question

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Area question

Postby tilley » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:54 am

Have a chance to go to SK for the first time and would like to know if any of you guys had an opinion on either the Weyburn Estevan area or the Grenfell area. We are primarily mallard duck hunters. Are either of these areas good or one better than the other as far as your experience. Thanks in advance.
tilley
hunter

Re: Area question

Postby War Wagon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Hunted Weyburn one year had a good shoot. Things have changed in that area now, OIL RIGS are everyware, there putting more holes in the ground than there is in Swiss Cheese. Town is a buzzing with OIL MADDNESS I would not hunt around there anymore.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby tilley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 am

I have heard that as well. Maybe look to go north a little. Any other insight you might have is appreciated. Thanks
tilley
hunter

Postby elfros » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 am

depends
the farther west you go the more specks you will see
if thats what you want
we hunt the quills and very few specks in the area
really depends on when you go all of central sas is good at times but the scouting daily is what makes for a good goose shoot of any species
ducks can be found agian with scouting but we shoot most before the geese move in the morning and a few in afternoons when we get bored
good luck
elfros
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm

That Estevan/Weyburn area is so full of oil crews the past couple of years, there is a real problem finding a room. When you do, it costs an arm and leg. Where we used to stay when there, room is now $120 CAN per night! Their dollar is now worth more than ours.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby tilley » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Yeah, that is crazy. Way to much. I am not sure what we are going to do. It is just tough for the common man to do much anymore and ultimately will kill it for everyone,i.e. outfitters tying up land,cost of lodging,gas etc etc. Very sad!
tilley
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting