Anybody In Southern Ontario havin a hard time this year?

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Postby Woody Slayer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 am

All you southern Ontario folks I need some Input! You guys seein any birds yet? I shot 5 on the weekend and 1 honker but it seems they ain't movin around a whole bunch yet, any theories?
Woody Slayer
hunter

Postby Skingelo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:33 pm

I haven't seen much at all!! I know some people that did really good opening day on the river here other than that nothing.. I have a blind on the big lake and its really slow right! It's killing my buzz.. Hopefully they starting refuging and getting active.
Skingelo
Newb

Re: Anybody In Southern Ontario havin a hard time this year?

Postby Woody Slayer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:30 am

It's killin my buzz too bro, we need some cold winds from the north to bring em down!
Woody Slayer
hunter

Postby Skingelo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah I agree!! I went out tonight for a night hunt and we didn't get squat.. Although it wasn't the best time because he had a storm pushing to the north.
Skingelo
Newb

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 pm

There's already huge flocks in California and even further south, I think your migration came and left a little early this year
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Woody Slayer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Man that's insane, I ain't really seen nothin all year! :(
Woody Slayer
hunter

Postby Hawkeye021182 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 am

It was OK opening morning here. (Eastern Ontario, South of Ottawa). Still a fair amount of wood ducks and teals around. I have not seen any of the northern mallards yet (Still some locals in groups of 5 or 6). I think there are still good times to come, mind you, Ive just been in larger swamps, no big water.

Geese just started flocking up and heading across the St. Lawrence here in the past week. We still haven`t had a frost yet.
Here they come,
Load Heavy...
Hawkeye021182
hunter

Postby Woody Slayer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 am

Hawkeye021182 wrote:It was OK opening morning here. (Eastern Ontario, South of Ottawa). Still a fair amount of wood ducks and teals around. I have not seen any of the northern mallards yet (Still some locals in groups of 5 or 6). I think there are still good times to come, mind you, Ive just been in larger swamps, no big water.

Geese just started flocking up and heading across the St. Lawrence here in the past week. We still haven`t had a frost yet.

Man there more damn woodies then you can shake a stick at here every year!...Except for this year, nothin, nadda, gondi! Push em down perth way!!
Woody Slayer
hunter

Postby Hawkeye021182 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 am

Perth like near Carleton Place?

I used to hunt Mississippi Lake quite a bit when I was in high school.
Here they come,
Load Heavy...
Hawkeye021182
hunter

Postby Woody Slayer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Hawkeye021182 wrote:Perth like near Carleton Place?

I used to hunt Mississippi Lake quite a bit when I was in high school.

If we're gettin right down to it I'm talkin Sharbot Lake area brother
Woody Slayer
hunter

Postby fishdart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 pm

If we're gettin right down to it I'm talkin Sharbot Lake area brother

Apologies for butting in, but have you hunted the Greater Bobs and Crow system for ducks? I have been toying with the idea of swapping my yearly summer fishing trip for an October cast-n-blast week perhaps next year. I know the fellow I rent from is a fowler, but like many locals around here [Pennsylvania] he is a bit tight-lipped on the quality of the duck hunting. Specifically I would be interested to know if your area of Ontario sees any decent number of divers. I don't get into them much at all in north east PA; I mostly see Canad geese, woodies, and mallards.

I really love visiting your neck of the woods, and would love to have another excuse to visit every year!

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

-Ben
fishdart
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting