The Right Thing to Do

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

The Right Thing to Do

Postby F250 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 am

During my many years of hunting in Saskatchewan, I have witnessed two incidents of American hunters displaying unacceptable behavior. War Wagon and I have exchanged a couple PMs regarding this subject. He thought I should post the incidents :

Several years ago, one of my hunting buddies pulled his 15 year old son out of school, so he could travel with us to Sask. One morning we met up with another group of American hunters alongside a road where we were watching some Canada geese. During our conversation, their group leader openly bragged about the huge over limit of Canadas in their freezer at a motel, how they always smuggle extra birds home by removing both wings and hiding them in their vehicle, how they had been shooting sharptail grouse even though they knew the season was closed for nonresidents, and how they were over their limit of pintails. When we arrived back at the farm where we stay, I called the local Warden. I gave him all the details of the violations, my name, contact information, and offered to provide a written statement if needed. I did not tell my buddies what I had done. The following evening during dinner, the Warden called me back. He thanked me for the info,and advised the bad guys had already paid their fines and were headed back to the US. He further advised that they would not be allowed back in Canada. I returned to the dinner table and told my story. Both my friend with the teenager and the farm couple who had two children sitting at the table, thought it was a great lesson in "doing the right thing".

Another time while having a late breakfast with my friends at a small town Sask. diner, I observed another group of American hunters seated next to us. I watched as one man scolded a teenage waitress so badly, she began to cry and run out of the dinning room. He was upset that his eggs were not done to his liking. I guess I sort of lost it. I jumped up, grabbed the guy by the collar, and instructed him in proper manners. I then invited him out into the parking lot where I promised to give him a post graduate course in manners. He declined. I walked into the kitchen and apoligized to the staff for my fellow American's rude behavior. When I returned to the dinning room, they were gone.
F250
hunter

Re: The Right Thing to Do

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm

It doesn't matter if American or Canadian..if you're an Richardhead your a Richardhead. Not all American's behave that way, nor do all Canadian's.....but being Canadian and living in the US..I've seen both sides being total jerks...and being the most wonderful people...I've met.
A lil tidbit is..I have a friend that went to Mexico, and he seen a bunch of rude, ignorant, and arrogant Canadian's.
So, sometimes it goes to show you....maybe just maybe..when we get away from home..we let loose and go over board and can be the nicest people, or..are just Richardheads.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Re: The Right Thing to Do

Postby blackduck_killer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Good for you for saying something, and standing for what you believe.
But goosehunter is right there seems to Aholes all over, just sometimes they're better at hiding that fact.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting