Duck help needed. Saskatchewan newbie

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Duck help needed. Saskatchewan newbie

Postby Randy set » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi....have never been a bird hunter....took up pheasants and love it! I have a son and daughter, daughter actually arrows a deer this year, that are just starting hunting, so being in NE SAsk, Melfort, and seeing all the bird hunters, I decided to ale up waterfowl to spend time with kids and let them have some action..... Being a teacher, mornings are out except for weekends....
I have purchased three coffin blinds, two doz floater ducks, and three dozen goose shells.....well last year was my first go, and our success was very limited.....we did get two mallards in a small waterhole we had seen the ducks in the weekend before, but took a week to track landowner and get permission.....some goose success, but want to focus on ducks as everyone else is hunting the geese and it seems like outfitters have the land tied up with permission for geese every time I asked.....

I know it takes years of experience, and knowledge to get a system....so I appreciate all the help....my son is out of school in two years and is a fanatic already even with our lack of success, so,I,would really appreciate the ABC's because I am frustrated.....

Where do I start...I could care less..water or field ( even bought hip waders...)
Scouting tips
What is transition pond...have read a ton, but have not witnessed one....
Maybe someone even has hunted my area and can give some tips or leads....
Maybe someone from USA is coming and we can hook up together?

Many thanks....excuse my ignorance as I am asking a lot, but me and my kids would be grateful!
Thanks,
Randy
Randy set
Newb

Re: Duck help needed. Saskatchewan newbie

Postby REM1100 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 am

Pick a good sized pond ( not huge) around 4 -8 acres with cattails preferably a bayed area where there are a good number of ducks maybe two ponds pretty close together put out a dz or more decoys 20 yds out in a hook pattern and have the ducks landing into the wind use your duck call and set up in the cattails in waders building a cattail blind and sit on a 5 gallon pail and wait early in the morning or around 10-11 am when the ducks come back from feeding in the fields.
\Of course you set up for canadas using some goose decoys and throw out some duck decoys off to the side and make sure you are with 1 mile of a big pond and ducks are curious and will come into the spread at the crack of dawn.
You have the right gear to make it happen. I hunt just 90 miles to the south every Oct.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Randy set » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Rem...thanks! Does it matter how deep the pond is...does deep mean roost and shallow a watering hole?
90 miles....sounds like Defoe area?
What time of year do you like coming down?
Thanks!
Randy set
Newb

Postby mauserfan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 am

Your family will have a great time. Time afield is the key and keep it simple. All of us hunt a little different than any one else. It is because of experiences teaching us. As long as you are safe, don't be afraid to try different approaches. Watch what is going on and how/where the birds are flying. In exploring new areas, I have loved to either walk or canoe a marsh and jump shoot along the way. You will find pockets that hold birds. THey are there for a reason...food, security, roosting. Try to identify it. It is a continual learning experience. Personally, I will always count a lost bird in my limit. You are in a fantastic area for your family to enjoy this. Buy a waterproof shell bag and bring your camera - you will see things that you want to remember. Sorry for the rambling. :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Randy set » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Mauser..thanks...sounds exciting! Sounds like a great group on here that is in this for the same reason as me...love of family and nature...and lasting memories. Cheers. Sounds like scouting is my key!
Randy set
Newb

Postby bloodnguts » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 am

Just out of curiosity, because I'm considering making my first Canada duck hunt this fall, with just my 15 year old son, but what kind of plans do you guys have for all the ducks you shoot. I don't think my son and I could eat more than a handful of ducks in a week's time, but I don't want to drive 16 hours to shoot only a handful of ducks either. Granted, it's mostly about the experience, but realistically, you know if you hit the motherload, you're not going to stop shooting after 1 or 2 ducks. Does anybody know of any charitable places that accept cleaned waterfowl, or any particular group of people known to take them of the hands of hunters?
bloodnguts
hunter

Postby slough » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:34 pm

bloodnguts wrote:Just out of curiosity, because I'm considering making my first Canada duck hunt this fall, with just my 15 year old son, but what kind of plans do you guys have for all the ducks you shoot. I don't think my son and I could eat more than a handful of ducks in a week's time, but I don't want to drive 16 hours to shoot only a handful of ducks either. Granted, it's mostly about the experience, but realistically, you know if you hit the motherload, you're not going to stop shooting after 1 or 2 ducks. Does anybody know of any charitable places that accept cleaned waterfowl, or any particular group of people known to take them of the hands of hunters?

You could easily eat a couple ducks apiece per day - lots of easy, good ways to do it. On the grill, fajitas, wrapped in bacon, etc. Ask farmers if they'd like some or if you could cook some up for them. Otherwise it's just part of hunting that you have to follow possession limits. Pretty frowned upon to find ways to get rid of birds just so you can keep shooting more.
slough
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 am

I'll be up there around Oct. 5, just don't shoot the teal,scaup shovelers and the smaller mottled type ducks and you will be well below the limits and possession. I usually average 6 mallards per 4 day causual duck hunting. Stay away from some big sloughs as the bottoms are soft.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Canada Duck Hunting