Alberta Help

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Alberta Help

Postby bullsprig2 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 pm

I am recently retired and for the first time I can go up to Canada and spend a couple of weeks hunting ducks. If possible I could use some help getting started. Where to obtain maps, obtaining permission to hunt, public areas etc. If you think you can help a new hunter out please send me a PM. Thanks
bullsprig2
hunter

Re: Alberta Help

Postby whiskyjack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm

I live in SE Alberta. Where abouts are you looking at going? Lots of opportunity in many parts of the Province.
whiskyjack
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 am

You can get county maps from Maptown in Calgary. There might be some walk in DU sites and a whole bunch of Buck For Wildlife sites for some refuge slough pass shooting as for permission, it's a coin toss as many Albertans treat their land as private with no trespassing, You might find some Use Respect signs and call them up. There is the Western and Eastern Irrigation District that might let you on, some First Nations Bands offer you a Pass for a certain fee and the Hutterites might let you on for giving them the cleaning business and also buying some produce from them. Keep in mind your hunting licence is only good for 7 days so you might want to buy a second one if need be and some motels will be booked up by oil workers and are expensive. Bigger towns will have urban sprawl and acreages with no shooting/ hunting in some districts. I personally make the 550 mile trip into Sask where I know the land and farmers as I used to live in Sask. Anywheres along the Sask Alberta border is good.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby whiskyjack » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:10 am

The Alberta Conservation Association has a publication that lists hundreds of sites open to the public for hunting/fishing. Many of them have wetlands on them. www.ab-conservation.com has a link to the guide online or you can contact them for a hard copy. Most sporting outlets in Alberta carry the guide as well. You can PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.
whiskyjack
hunter

Postby bullsprig2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I will start doing some homework. My hope is to get in some goose hunting. Sounds like I may want to look into Sask. It will be a fun adventure. I enjoy learning a new area.
bullsprig2
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting