NE Saskatchewan

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

NE Saskatchewan

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:53 pm

First day on the books. Not a ton if birds around, only one big group. But they are feeding in a pea field, that's right on the roost lake.

We set up on a small group of snows, only a few thousand were in the field yesterday. But it was the best we could come up with on the short notice. Bout a third showed up this morning. And not until 7:30 this morning. I shot one first light mallard. Then nothing until 7:30. Three of us only scratched 37 birds two were ducks.

Cool and rainy all morning. Hung it up at noon, to get out of the field. Going scouting in a few minutes.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Re: NE Saskatchewan

Postby Goosecrazy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:17 pm

At least you're killing birds. Still kind of early unless you're really far north. Good luck. I'm sure it will only get better.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks for report have a good one. I hope you will leave some birds a I am going to be East Central by Oct. 10
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:43 pm

We've been doing this week and a half for years. Only thing we really miss are the bit pushes of ducks. We still get a bunch, but they're mostly locals.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Got permission on a huge three quarter pea field. Maybe 10,000 white geese. It's gonna be win or loose.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Didn't work out so well today. Set up with high hopes. Wind was out of the se at 12-14. We had the wind and sun at our back. Perfect. Only thing is, all the birds left overnight. Shot 4...
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby intheface » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 pm

We headed up 27 where u hunting what's it looking like now whats the temps up there
intheface
Newb

Postby intheface » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I guess he to good to talk to me.
intheface
Newb

Postby F250 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Heavy rain the past two days has turned the black dirt roads to sh*t. Glad we have an ATV and a huge Jet Sled. We (me, wife, dog) had a fun hunt in a wheat stubble field this AM. Mallards and extra large Canadas. So nice not to hear another gun shot all morning (except for a guy who shot a moose just north of us). Temp. is around 45'F. Plenty of birds around, although the large concentrations (of Lesser Canadas) have not arrived yet. We have seen several fields holding thousands of Snows - we don't target them - always shoot enough of them over our Canada rig and a dozen or so snow goose decoys set off to the side.
F250
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:46 am

Sorry I lost track of this thread. It ended up being a decent trip. There's usually four of us, we only had three. So less shooters. I forget the number totals, but we were down on a per man basis. The birds just weren't here. With the storms the last two days, I bet every bird from up north will be here by Monday. Shoulda been here next week.

But all in all, had a great time. Canada, you are a good host.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:39 am

Sorry it wasn't better for you Jay. I'll be up there starting Oct 5-14, hope a big push comes in while I am there. It is something I would like to see, as we don't get huge numbers here in Pennsylvania. Maybe tag a few while I'm at it........
don novicki
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting