Sept. opener

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Sept. opener

Postby sparky » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:36 pm

The season was upon us and Dayna and I set out on our trek to the blind. We were running a bit late having to travel from Bancroft this year. We got to our launch point and could see some lights near our blind. Got the canoe packed up and made out way to our blind. Got there and someone was all set up... With a bit of chatting and the guys partners that put him in my blind he was packed up and heading to another spot. Apparently the guys up from me spoke with another guy who said it was his blind and that he built it.... After some conversation it was clear to my fellow hunters that the other guy was wrong........ Heck all he has to do is check my site and see the birth and growth of my home away from home, during the season!

Anyway, we came to an understanding and the hunt was on! 630am came and it started with a BANG!!!
There were some other guys up river from the other guys and they were doing their best at sky blasting....

Anyway Dayna and I came away with only a single hen mallard this year on our opener. The guys just up from us came away with 7. The wind just wasn't in our favour this year coming our of the south west at 25km./hr. We need a north wind for our blind to be good due to the trees directly behind us.

All in all though it was great to spend some time with my youngest one since my separation. On the way home we stopped by and picked up the oldest and had a great time for the rest of the weekend. Also came away with meeting a fellow waterfowler who seems to be a decent guy.... I'm sure we will be hooking up in the area in the near future for some hunting.

The before hunting snooze

The set up

The retrieve (her first time in the canoe herself. Well done I might add)

End results

sparky
sparky
hunter

Postby drake23 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:04 pm

i hunt a piece of crown land that has alot of blinds people put up and i was told by an old tymer that it is a gentalmans agreement if you have your spot marked for opener and after that its first come first serve???
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby sparky » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Yep thats exactly it! After the opener its free game but most of the time people respect someones hard efforts at building building and generally give it up to the owner. At least of the time. But there is always one idiot in the bunch to screw our sport.

sparky

drake23 wrote:i hunt a piece of crown land that has alot of blinds people put up and i was told by an old tymer that it is a gentalmans agreement if you have your spot marked for opener and after that its first come first serve???
sparky
hunter

Postby drake23 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:43 pm

yah i was in a blind i found on the river here the other day looked real old though if the guy showed up i would probably ask him to hunt with me and if not quitly move down after cleaning up all my gear
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:47 am

We built several blinds in on one large marsh and we only use them a few times a season so we don't get in a tizzy if someone else is using one of them we usually just move on to the next one, or invite them to stay and hunt with us. We have had guys argue over who built the blinds saying that they did when you start talking to them for a bit all they did was freshen it up a bit. You gotta laugh...... people!!!
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting