Entry Problems in Canada and Illegal guiding

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Entry Problems in Canada and Illegal guiding

Postby Normax » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Do not kid yourself, Canadian custom officer have the latest detailed database on all Americans from arrest to fingerprinting to warrants nd they WILL NOT tolerate lying. This is the land of Honest Abe's so first they will ask if you have been fingerprinted for ANYTHING.Tell them the truth, next they will ask if you have been arrested (handcuffed) again do not lie. If you have you have a 90% chance of being denied entry unless your mother is dying in a hospital in Saskatoon or Edmonton. They will take your passport and match it electronically to all city, country, state and Federal records. This is a cooperative database jointly operated after 9/11.

They take letting even misdemeanors entry as a serious issue. I can not tell you how many times in the last 27 years of hunting Canada that hunters and their group have been denied permission. The next big thing is stopping American hunters who are illegally guiding. Apparently there is a database with over 260 names.

NorMax
Normax
Newb

Re: Entry Problems in Canada and Illegal guiding

Postby mauserfan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:40 am

Amen. They also give their Customs Officials a lot of gray area to work within. This is a great thing. Have a great day....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Jasonmaure » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:05 am

Guys it's not that bad really! I guide here in ontario and have never had any issues with my American clients crossing into Canada. Mind you non of my clients are death row inmates. Do contact boarder services and the RCMP though before coming across. See exactly what's allowed to be imported weapon wise into Canada. Our gun laws here are different and handguns are not big here. Also don't lie it's just not good to be caught doing that. Be straight forward and most of all enjoy our great hunts here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:55 am

Jason-You misunderstood my comment. This IS a good thing. I spend alot of time in your great country and do not blame your customs for turning away these people. Take care....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 pm

I do know this, YOU will be denied entry if you have a DUI/DWI on your record in the last 10 years, would not waste my time trying. They take a very dim view of drinking and driving in Canada. I do know from personal experience with one of our party, didn't know he had been caught and had a record in the US but they sure didn't let him in, took him back to Grand Forks and put him on a plane home.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Cobbhead » Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 am

I found it amazing just how complete one's history is on Canada's computer system. Maybe ten years ago (2003 I think)
I made my second trip to Sask. on a hunting trip. I was held up at the border and questioned by Canadian customs. They'd discovered that, in 1969, I'd been arrested for DUI! A long discussion with the authorities, during which I pointed out I'd been found not guilty, and I was finally allowed entry. Don't think, just because something is past history, you get to pass "GO".
Cobbhead
hunter

Postby bob55 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 am

I have never heard any horror stories such as these. A group I know that goes every year for fishing has a guy with a DUI that gets in every year for the past 5 years. Maybe it depends on which border your crossing? IDK. I know quite a few people that cross through for trips and have never heard any bad stories...Just my thoughts.
bob55
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:49 am

Sooner or later your going to run into that one agent that is going to run you through a microscope, I promise you. Might not be this year, might not be next year but it will happen.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Canada Duck Hunting