Ontario Bling.

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Ontario Bling.

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Got to finally hunt one of my feilds.

It's a cut bean feild that was just planted with winter wheat.

The farmer figured the geese were doing more damage then me hunting, so away I went.

Got the dekes setup, and blind covered.

Just as I finish I hear Geese off in the distance behind me.
I get a look at a flock of 5 birds heading my way.

They never came close enough to get a shot, with them gone I adjust the dekes a bit and hunker down for the hunt.

Here's the setup.

And a shot from the blind out.

3 small folks and an hour and 15 later, I'm getting ready to pack up.

The first flock was a group of 4, One broke off and commited suicide. Next was a group of 3, Again only 1 fell. Next came a group of 4, 3 went down all witnin 25 yrds of the blind. That was it for the shooting. while i was packing up the birds started coming in in bigger flocks.
I guess I'll have to do that again soon to keep the birds out of the winter wheat.

The end results.

The Banded bird.

Me and the limit.
2007 Totals

50 Geese
3 Teal
27 Mallards
1 Mallard/Black Hybrid
1 Wood Duck
1 Ringneck
3 Sawbills (merganzers)

More to come
Crockett
hunter

ontario goose hunting

Postby mikek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Great post. The pictures sure help to show your story. I plan to get a field set of goose decoys soon as I have some farms in my area(parry sound) that I can hunt and give it a try. At 44 years old I'm having a lot of fun learning a new sport. It,s been a great way to spend time with my son and get outside. I have been watching the geese in a local cut hay field the last few days and hope they stay in the area til season opens.( sept 4th I think). Because my 13 year old son & I are new to this kind of hunting we have lots of questions.Maybe you would be kind enough to answer a couple of questions.

what time of day do you hunt a set up like that??do you have to be set up before the sun rises like duck hunting ?? Also, it would be safe for me to leave my set up out in the field (meaning no worry of theft) but would it be less effective because the geese would become wary or too used to it??
Thanks for any help
Mike
mikek
hunter

Postby Heronk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 am

Geese feed twice a day in our area so you either need to set up in the dark like for duck hunting or mid-afternoon before they come back for the late afternoon feed.

I would not leave decoys in the field even if there is no worry of theft. The geese will get used to the spread day after day and you won't decoy them when you do hunt the field. A guy tried that in one of our fields (thought he would claim it for the season that way) and the geese quickly shied away from the decoys and headed for the opposite side of the field (where we pounded them several times that season).

One final thing, silence is a goose warning sign so learn to call. Even if you can only do a cluck you will be more successful than if you don't call at all.
I love to hunt....so why do I scout?
The more time I spend scouting....the less time I spend hunting!
Heronk
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Great pic story of a solo hunt...I have gone solo many times.
Satisaction is the end result.
One question; it seems the dekes are spread out a little too far. would you not have closer shots if you shruck the V a bit
Is the limt only 5 where you are?
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Heronk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:53 am

The limit is 5 per day in our area in October.

As for the spacing, I wouldn't say the decoys are too far apart. The ends could be extended out to make a deeper U to center the birds perhaps but the set up obviously worked well.
Heronk
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 am

Sounds ok :thumbsup:
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby drake23 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 am

when was this last year or do you have some kind of pest hunting permit?
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby Heronk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 am

drake23 wrote:when was this last year or do you have some kind of pest hunting permit?

The thread was started October 2007.
Heronk
hunter

Postby mikek » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks for the tips Heronk

I have been watching since the begining of august & the local flock seems to be growing or gathering together . Either way I have been spotting 30 to 40 birds in various spots close to home . They have either been on the main lake or in small marsh's that feed the lake . However in the last two weeks I have spotted them in hays fields that have been cut & baled and now have only the dried remains of the hay. I have been away for a week working and while I was away I was able to secure access to hunt a neighbors farm. This morning I had my first chance to drive by since recieving premission and counted aprox 80 to 100 birds. wow. Now I have to hope the stay in the area til sept 4th..

By the way I tried to buy my bird licence at the post office today & they did,t have them yet???
mikek
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting