1st time going north of the border

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

1st time going north of the border

Postby Gert9888 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:06 pm

This will be my 1st time going north of the border, we are going to Saskatchewan the quill lakes region. I have no idea what to expect! We will be there around oct 24 for ten days. I have never crossed the border curious if I should get a passport or my NY state enhanced would be enough? Also what kind of tempetures to expect? birds? Anything that you could add thanks guys!!
Gert9888
hunter

Re: 1st time going north of the border

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 am

Around Oct 24 the balls off a brass monkey will fall off with temps around -5 to -10 C and there may be a thin layer of ice on the smaller ponds the birds will be on the big lakes .All the cranes will be gone some snows still coming in a lot of mallards and some big canadas, The motels will have vacancies and most of the hunters will have gone south, getting permission will be quite easy. There should be some prime fields as it is going to be a late harvest.
I would recommend a passport and proper ID and pay a fee for registering guns bring 200 rounds of ammo as ammo sells for close to $30 a box for cheap ammo an bring some useable gifts for farmers. Please bring good flexible warm gloves and practice setting up blinds in the dark and bring decoys that are easy to set up in the cold. Wear layers of clothing with long underwear and a 3/4 length insulated jacket with a hood and lightweight warm boots.
I will have left the Quills by Oct 14 and will leave a few birds and spots for you. PS don't order any steaks at the restaurants as they are tough but they have a fabulous breakfast. Have a good hunt and use BBs as they will have full winter plumage and bring along a backup gun. Make sure your dog has the proper papers.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby don novicki » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:20 am

You cannot get into Canada without a valid passport.....................
don novicki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:37 pm

You can bring more Ammo than 200rds. You just declare the amount of bullets at the boarder and pay the duty. It's not that much money and if you run out when you are up are going to pay BIG TIME for Ammo.
Better to have to much than not enough :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby F250 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 am

Your NY "enhanced" drivers license is fine if you are crossing the border by vehicle (I use mine weekly). Stop at the US Customs prior to entering Canada. You will need to fill out Form # 4457 - Personal Effects Taken Abroad. List your firearms and any expensive cameras, optics, etc. You can also request copies of the USF&W form #3-177 Declaration for Importation of Fish and Wildlife. You can fill that out prior to your reentry to the US and save some time if you are going to bring back any birds (leave one wing attached to each bird and wrap each bird individually for counting and ID purposes. You can download and print your application for the temp. Canadian firearms permit from the RCMP website - DO NOT sign the application before they tell you to at the counter. Make certain your guys do not have ANY criminal history including DWI. Read all the hunting regs. and follow them to the letter. Be polite at the border, with the farmers, and with the local folks. You are a guest in that country. Represent us well.
F250
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Really....????? You don't need a Passport ????
First time I heard that one....
Call the crossing at North Portal, Canada 1-306-927-2455
War Wagon
hunter

Postby F250 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:13 am

Some of the northern states offer an "enhanced driver's license". I live 1 mile from the Quebec border in Vt. and cross on a weekly basis. Apparently NY offers the same type license. When you apply for the "enhanced" license, you have to jump through hoops similar to applying for a passport. The license is only good for entry by vehicle and only to Canada. Just one less document to have to carry. The license comes in a special security envelope so that it cannot be scanned without removing it.
F250
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:01 pm

I took 3 cases of ammo with me and they never even asked about it. If they would have I would have just paid up because regardless of what they dinged me for it at the border I am positive it still would be cheaper than buying it up there. Just as an example of prices I paid $56.00 for a case of beer. Two 32 oz. Gatorades were 5.99 in the grocery store, and if you smoke or chew be prepared to pay big time. If I remember correctly a pack of smokes was somewhere in the 10.00 to 15.00 dollar range. There is GST (gouge and screw tax) on EVERY SINGLE THING you buy which pays for their health care. The idea of "free health care" is so far fetched it isn't even funny.......It's all worth it though and I plan on going again next year. Once you go you will be counting the days until you can return. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:21 pm

F250 is correct about the enhanced license. But, if not a local, a passport would be smart. ....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Gert9888 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks for all of the information and I apologize for taking so long to say thank you. Busy time of year for me with work and my addiction to offshore fishing! I cannot wait to start the waterfowl season. My new worry is the overall cost after hearing about this tax. Can we bring our tobacco needs in along with the ammo? The gentlemen taking me is very experienced with crossing the border, I guess that I am concerned about the little things sitting that only a few trips will teach you that you need
Gert9888
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 am

They ask about booze and smokes and what you are bringing in. Don't remember how much you can get across though.......
don novicki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Call the number I posted above, they will answer all your questions... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Hey Wagon better get ready for the "New Look" Vikings this year...........I'm just saying.
don novicki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:01 pm

"New Look"....Same results ... :lol3:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO PACK GO...............
War Wagon
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Rem1100 hit me up by pm please. i have a few questions for ya. will be in same area. Oct1st. Wondering about buying migratory game bird permit online?? Only place I can find in Canads post office's ? Is this correct?
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:31 am

You can get one at the post office in Wynyard Weyburn Estevan Regina fot about $18. I will be up there staying at the Arrowhead and eating at the 24/7, will be there October 8 to 14 PM me if you have any. Questions

I will be getting my licence on line.Pease note 20 snows daily possession. No limit. Changes made this year read the regs,
O
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:34 am

lostpup wrote:Rem1100 hit me up by pm please. i have a few questions for ya. will be in same area. Oct1st. Wondering about buying migratory game bird permit online?? Only place I can find in Canads post office's ? Is this correct?

No, Pup
You can order one thru Pharmasave Pharmacy by faxing the form that is on the website of the Weyburn Review newspaper. The link below should allow you to click on the area that says "Hunters click here", which opens the pdf form. Print the form, fill out and fax to Pharmasave. Allow about 2 weeks to get your stamp. Total cost US is about $24. which includes postage and handling fee.

http://www.weyburnreview.com/section/weyburn15
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 am

Not sure if this will work for you guys but we can buy the permit online in Canada now

http://ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?l ... 182D8E96-1
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:41 pm

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:Not sure if this will work for you guys but we can buy the permit online in Canada now

http://ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?l ... 182D8E96-1

Thanks for that info soxfan! Been requesting that from SERM for years with no results. Looks like they finally wised up!

Already bought mine this year thru Pharmasave, but got the link saved in my Canada Administrivia file on the computer for next year.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:52 am

No Prob, I was very glad to see it this year also, save me from having to go wait in a lineup at post office.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting