Precipatation on the Breeding Grounds

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Precipatation on the Breeding Grounds

Postby JBlanchard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:09 pm

How much water are you boys in Canada going to have when the ducks arrive this spring. I have looked at the weather reports and they seem to say it has been relitavely dry in Canada. I just wanted to know from people who live thier.
Jason
JBlanchard
hunter

Postby plainsman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:35 pm

Are you really asking us to predict the weather and amount of rainfall/winter snow???? And months in advance yet.....you've got to be kidding me. Nobody can predict the weather that far down the road. All it would take is 1 volcano to erupt and it would change the weather pattern for the world in a matter of days. There's just way to many variables involved to be able to honestly answer your question. Sorry.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby JBlanchard » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:22 am

I meant how much precipitation have you already had, the weathermen cannot even predict two days in advance.
JBlanchard
hunter

Postby plainsman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Very little snow around here.....nothing new.
plainsman
hunter

Postby JBlanchard » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought, I periodically check the weather in canada, and it looked kinda dry. hopefully you will get some more precipitation. Most of my bands from around here come from western Ontario or Quebec, some guys that hunt near me have killed them from alberta and Saskat.
JBlanchard
hunter

Postby g100driver » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 pm

This should give you what you are looking for. :thumbsup:

http://environment.alberta.ca/forecasti ... thnorm.pdf

I spoke with my good buddy just outside of Edmonton and he said this year's production is actually better than last years!
g100driver
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:07 pm

They finally got a bit of rain in SW MB and SE SK last week. I read a report that SW MB was dryer than ever recorded. The spot of rain may help the farmers, but it'll take serious rains to break the back of the drought in the plains of Canada. It is not looking good at all for the ducks this year for breeding conditions.

http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/drought/prpay08_e.htm since Sept 1 of 2007

http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/drought/prpgs08_e.htm since April 1 2008

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby plainsman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:33 am

Been raining like nuts in S. Alberta for a couple weeks now.
plainsman
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:38 pm

Plainsman, did the rain come in time? Or did the ducks keep heading further north to the Parklands?

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby g100driver » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:06 pm

Admin2 wrote:Plainsman, did the rain come in time? Or did the ducks keep heading further north to the Parklands?

From guide buddy up north he said that his biggest concern was that is rained so heavily that birds did not nest in the cattails, but BEYOND them. He feared predidation.

Again, this is the Calgary/Edmonton section of Alberta.
g100driver
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Admin2 wrote:Plainsman, did the rain come in time? Or did the ducks keep heading further north to the Parklands?

Alberta has been funny on the weather this year -- heavy snow in May caught a lot of birds on nests and this caused a loss. Southern Alberta has above average rain fall while Red Deer North is 50% under for moisture. North and North East has good water from lots of snow melt from the winter. The potholes in the Edmonton area are very low.

We just got back from a couple of weeks in SE Alb -- saw lots of mature geese -- very few nested pairs with gosslings. Ducks did not have any young out yet. Ducklings are just starting to show on the potholes in the Edmonton area. Lots of geese around and good numbers of ducks --- noticeable numbers on mallards, teal, gadwall & shovellers.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby plainsman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 pm

It's all good....little paddlers are everywhere :thumbsup:
plainsman
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting