Moving Ontario from the US - kayak/boat question

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Moving Ontario from the US - kayak/boat question

Postby mtl_duck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:40 am

Hello All!

I'm originally from Montreal, I moved to NJ for work about 8 yrs ago, and I'm planning on moving back to Canada, most likely to where my girlfriend lives in the Guelph/Oakville area.

I have heard that Long Point is the premier place to go duck hunting in this area. If there are others closer, I would greatly appreciate a pointer in the right "direction". You don't need to be specific; I like to scout around anyways. Any other websites or local stores where I can get information about that area? I go up quite often.

I have absolutely no idea what the conditions are like at Long Point! I currently own an Aquapod duck hunting kayak with blind - powered by a small electric motor and by me with a kayak-paddle. Is this sufficient? Or is a boat with a motor pretty much necessary? What kind of waves/conditions are we talking about? I'm used to the sheltered, coastal tidal marshes of NJ, and the flooded swamps in Sorel Quebec where you can just paddle in with relative safety, set up a dozen decoys and hunt like that or by jump shooting as I paddle quietly.

I'm giving myself the option to buy a duck hunting boat before moving back (you don't have to pay taxes/duties on stuff you buy up to 6 months before moving back to Canada). My main conundrum will be to buy either a flat or v-hull duck boat - any recommendations based-on hunting conditions at Long Point would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Anthony
duck hunting IS all its quacked-up to be!
mtl_duck
hunter

Postby drake23 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 am

there are spots you could hunt at long point with a canoe but a boat is nice i would get a mod-v unless you plan on battleling it out in rough water i was in some really nast stuff with mine and it worked good also the prices up here are the same as down there as long as the dollar stays strong
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby Wismer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 am

Where abouts in ontario will you be moving to?
Take 'er easy

Craig
Wismer
hunter

Postby drake23 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:03 am

it says in his first paragraph
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby mtl_duck » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:47 am

Most likely moving to the Guelph/Oakville area - maybe even (yikes) Mississauga...

I'm from Montreal... remember? :tongue: :biggrin:
mtl_duck
hunter

Postby mtl_duck » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:49 am

Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question; what's a mod-v?

Thanks

Anthony
mtl_duck
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:25 am

mtl_duck wrote:Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question; what's a mod-v?

Thanks

Anthony

It's kinda somewhere between a square flat front and a V-hull.
They are safer for larger & rougher waters.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Wismer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Keep in touch man I am down in the Niagara region and want to do some hunting around toronto next year.... Alot of times I am coming home on the 403 and 401 6/7 pm and the geese are flying over in their flocks non stop, as far as you can see. If you found the field they were in, it would be a real short hunt. Just incredible numbers. I haven't been able to get up there to do any scouting to secure a field or anything. Can't really justify it, it's an hour drive but now that me and my brothers and dad are gettin a little more serious we may try it. I also don't know how many people hunt around there, but I'm sure there are a few.
Take 'er easy

Craig
Wismer
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting