So ya want to volunteer to do some banding

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

So ya want to volunteer to do some banding

Postby Oldducknut » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:33 pm

I dont know if Im being fed a line of crapo superemo but I was making some inquiry into the possabilty of assisting DNR with banding here in NS.
Well instead of sure "love to have some help" what i got was,
Due to safety /insurance issues the DNR is not inclined to enlist the help of volunteers. Anyone else ever try?
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:16 pm

I've never tried but always thought that most banding of waterfowl was done by volunteers or university students who were taking a major in biology.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Oldducknut » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:46 pm

heck thats what I thought as well- certainly seen enough pics of kids and what I thought was voluteers banding.
Do me a favour and contact the NSDNR and tell them your interested in volunteering for banding eider ducks a nd see what kind of a response ya get and let us know
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:10 pm

Id be interested to see what they say too. I think it would be fun to learn 'bout fowl that way :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:42 pm

I just got off the phone from talking with our local DNR and they informed me that the banding of waterfowl is done by volunteers throu the Federal Wildlife Agencey and that the program of banding birds on the Belleisle Marsh has been discontinued for this year and next as the birds are not nesting there much. The person you need to contact is Randy Hicks at 506-364-5031. If you cannot get him call the main office at 506-364-5044. I hope this info is helpful to you. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Oldducknut » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:36 am

certainly is helpful because the guy I talked to said nope we use our own people due to insurance liability issues. thanks for Diggin around
ODN
Oldducknut
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting