Florida boy moves to Ontario? Brrrr!

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Florida boy moves to Ontario? Brrrr!

Postby Dead Ringer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm

That might be the case. I was born and raised in Miami, Florida, but may be headed up to Kingston. My fiance is looking at grad schools in Texas, Florida and also at Queens. Call me a sissy, but I am reeeeally not looking forward to the cold. I don't like winters in the Carolinas, yet Canada. Other than that, I love Canada. Visited there last year and like the people, the places, the atmosphere. Despite my issues with the cold, I can't get duck hunting out of my system, so I guess I'll have to adapt. I've heard alot about the open water layout hunting, and am very excited about that. I plan on building a layout boat and a huge pile of dekes before I move up there. What other types of duck hunting are there around Kingston? I'll have to decide between bringing a 18ft center console fiberglass boat, a 16ft mudboat, or both. Will the (flat nosed) jonboat serve any use, or are most of the waters navigable/huntable with the deeper boat, truck, or layout? Thanks for the help.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:16 am

Bring them all, I'm positive you'll find a use for that mud boat, but if your plan is to focus on big lake layout hunting it isn't necessary. But i warn you if you don't like carolinas winter, you'll HATE late season duck hunting.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:43 am

Hopefully I'll get a bunch early on and then I can take off the rest of the season (or visit home) ;)
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby drake23 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 pm

the mud rig will come in handy if you like pudllers there are lots of marshes on the great lakes in the bays aswell as marshes and small lakes everywhere up here my vote would be for the mudboat thats what i run anyways but im not into the diver hunting
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting