Hunting from a layout blind

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Hunting from a layout blind

Postby Oldducknut » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:30 am

It is my belief that hunting from a layout blind is a relatively new concealment method for us easterners. There are a few people that have used them, but I think it is just starting to catch on. No pits to dig ,no framing to construct just drag it out and open er up. 400-600 $ can be a bit prohibitive for some, however the dividends should out weigh the initial bump.
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:33 pm

Just for everybodies Information. I understand the exchange rate, the Canada residents get penalized about 25% when buying US products, that being said, they cost less than the $500cad range. For example a Final Aprocah Pro Eliminator or a Avery Migrator bilnd are $300 USD These blinds are considered top of the line for the most part. Other brands are cheaper. And yes there is the shipping too which costs a bit more too. I'm not sure what hassles the shipping through customes is, but I would think about $425CAD should cover it after the exchange rate for top of the line blinds.

Good hunting :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Oldducknut » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:34 pm

Yes of course it pays to shop around like everything else but just out of curiousity I went to a popular Canadian site and found this

Price: $499.99 (plus GST and S&H)- Final Approach

Now depending what province you live in also affects price.

If I go to a local guy here we have the base retail price plus something called the HST which is 15%. Thats if I pick it up.

Here in Nova Scotia- you wont find Cabellas/Bass pro/ or any other huge box store hunting facility.

Yep we shure is poor ere !

Now the post was about how uncommon layouts are- here in these parts but despite the prices I think tradition has stood in the way of change more than anything.
Me daddy hunted from a pitblind- and so on
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:21 am

While those are nice, I think I'd rather save the green and make my own

This would involve:
Pallets
tires,
vegetation
2x2's
duct tape

And possibly a bathtub :toofunny: (saw the bathtub idea on a t-shirt, it probably would work good too :thumbsup: )
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:24 am

Pardon ARN, as he is a red neck to the extreme. :laughing:

Here in MN they are everywhere when it comes to field goose hunting. The vast majority of goose field decoy hunters use them.

CA is a bit delayed in accepting them. As very few outfitters even had them 4 years ago, now more do. But the CA resident hunters by and large still do not use them in MB and SK where I have hunted.

Many CA waterfowl guides are hacks at best from what I have seen. They throw out 18 old shell decoys and hide in the rock piles or willow bluffs and charge $300 USD per day :eek: :thumbsdown: And most are very unscrupulous from my experience, like lieing to the landowners, etc... Do you know the #1 question from a landowner was? Do you guide? They want NOTHING to do with the resident guides/outfitters being they have been burned so often as guides pretending to be "hunters".

Granted there are a couple of good outfitters that are respectable and have good equipment, but, most do not from what I've seen. I am a blue coller guy and can not afford setups like some US hunters have like 16' trailers filled with FBs, so when my decoys spread (3.5dz FBs) and gear look top of the line when compared to the outfitters, one knows there is a viod of knowledge and experience with the outfitters.

Back to the blinds, there is 1 big limitation with them, and that is it is a lot different shooting when shooting from a seated position, ones swing is restricted, compared to when standing. And many have a problem with that. Also older Gents, they have a much harder time in dealing with lying down and then sitting up to shoot from my experience.

Lastly, I think being Admin was talking of exchange rates and shipping, I suspect he was referring to cataloge/internet sales places in the US.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:17 pm

Oldducknut,

Off subject, you might want to use a picture resizer before you post pics up.

Large pics are hard to see, cuz they tend to go off screen....

Just a lil tip! :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Oldducknut » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 pm

The pic was off topic so I removed it. with respect to the resizing of images the bigger the better for me and if ya need to scroll over an inch your 2 thanks for taking the time to see the whole thing :getdown:
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:03 pm

Off topic again :oops: , but Its cool, just thought I'd give you a heads up, thats all.....

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:14 pm

Maybe Greg will post the Eiders pic on a new topic :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Would that be the one w/you in it too :mrgreen:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:36 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:While those are nice, I think I'd rather save the green and make my own

This would involve:
Pallets
tires,
vegetation
2x2's
duct tape

And possibly a bathtub :toofunny: (saw the bathtub idea on a t-shirt, it probably would work good too :thumbsup: )
-Stouff

I'm with you stouff, we'll be puttin the final touches on our homemade job this weekend. I'll take some pics to post up. It turned out damned sweet for the material we used. :thumbsup:(no indoor plumin though.LOL!!)

As for those coffin blinds; i have thought about getting one in the past, but the big turnoff for me is the restriction in your shooting angles, not to mention me & my buds do most of our hunting in the marsh.
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:09 pm

I have been toying with the idea of building some sort of layout blind for feild hunting. Just might do that fairly soon.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting