Tips On Gunning Black Ducks

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Tips On Gunning Black Ducks

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:22 am

Lets share some tips on hunting blacks. Either early seaon....or late season.
I'll start....I set two groups. One slightly larger then the other Most of the time, the larger group would be set up wind....with about a 10-20 yrd kill hole.
If using goose decoys with your spread...set you goose decoys upwind of your duck decoys. Most times...blacks want to land above your spread.
With this set up....they'll land either in your duck decoys...or slighty about, in between your goose and duck decoys.
I have many more...lets here yours.
It kinda sux, because we don't have many blacks here....and miss hunting them.
Now when I was back home...i was bored hunting them....ya never miss something until it's gone.......or move away from them... :rofl: :rofl:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 am

Hunting the kennebacasis I've had excellent luck using a combination of life like plactic decoys and old beat up cork decoys that don't realy look like anything. Openning day I usualy run about 16-20 decoys mostly blacks with 5 mallards and 1 drake woody and sometimes a couple feeders, i split these between whatever open areas there are in the wild rice around my blind.
late season we usualy get a rise in water and can get into the timber and back ponds there we run anywhere from 3 black duck decoys to 40 and 2 mojo mallards, when we hunt the lake it can be close to 100 decoys mostly blacks and mallards but a group of broad bills and whistler thrown at one end. most of the time the black ducks are in a rough U shape with the botom being closest to our hide. the diver dekes are generaly a line or J.
For calls variety is the spice of life 3 of us calling( when we have the big spreads) and no 2 calls the same. they seem to like it or we shut up if they're coming in.

Wow sorry i didn't mean to write a book folks. :eek:
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 am

To clairify, what BD_k is say is. He uses window dressing. This is great during the late season as well.
Numbers of decoys in a certain area.
The shapes of his spreads.
And calling.
Window dressing...use of mallards, pintails, widgeon, teal, feeders, sleepers and the like....
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:15 am

Hairpin turns on small creeks and brooks...generally will stay open.
Even the wisest winter black will fall victim to these small open areas.
Calling in this kind of scenerio, for the most part will be none.....for the most part.
Here's what I do.....place a few decoys on the ice.....and some floaters......but some of these floaters in a straight line...anywheres from 3-7, as if they are swimming to the decoys on the ice.
A tight group would not be out of the question, on a different day, or a larger hole in the ice. Lets say, on a lake or river.
Some full bodies would be a deadly killer as well.
If no snow...regular camo should suffice, and if snow is present.....a set of painters suits or coveralls....will fit the bill.....and also a white hat.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 am

Can't forget jump hunting Streams, ditches and beaver ponds.
This can produce interesting mixed bags. Also hunting the salt marshes in the late season can be dynomite and produce the occasional goose.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:51 am

And if you don't window dress how will you ever get that elusive bull pintail or mountable drake wood duck?
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:00 am

blackduck_killer wrote:And if you don't window dress how will you ever get that elusive bull pintail or mountable drake wood duck?

exactly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 am

When hunting tidal marshes, rivers, ditches and the like.....hunt them in a ebbing tide. Ducks will hit backwater spots, like beaver ponds, non tidal lakes and fields of cereal.
No...not corn flake or frosted flakes either.......but maybe cheerios. :rofl: :rofl:, but that would be baiting....hmmmm :yes:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Calling blacks, is pretty subtle. for just a few quacks, and from a 5-7 cadence call.
In my 25 years of hunting blacks...I can only recall, less then a handful of times....where agressive calling actually worked.
Depending on where you hunt, small simply speads seem to work better.
A "U" or "C" shape works very well.
Hunting points and or oxbows along lakes and rivers have worked best for me.
A whistle works great as well. I've had numerous blacks land anywhere from 100-500 yds, and do the 3 note widgeon call, and had these birds pick up and come right on in. Now, I have also mixed in soft quacks as well.
On calm days, a jerk string, or something that creates ripples, is very deadly on blacks or mallards.
A drake mallard call mixed in with a regular call, adds some frosting to the cake, every now and again.
My favorite weather to hunt in, was always a good Nor'eastern. I would find a oat, barley, or corn field with the trees and wind at my back, and have at it. With a few well placed FB duck and goose decoys...it was game over for them. I haven't had much success calling them in those high winds.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting