Ontario Duck Hunters post

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Ontario Duck Hunters post

Postby mturcott » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:29 am

I am from South Eastern Ontario near Kingston. I am interested in hearing about the hunting opertunities everywhere in the province like types of hunting, what types of birds in different areas..... ect Also to get to know who and how many ontario duck hunters are on this forum! Maybe make some new friends and future hunting buddies.

anything really!

Pics would be great

Mark
mturcott
hunter

Postby drake23 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:32 am

hey there ive hunted from chatam area london area and petawawa area down south is sweet but i like it up hear better you dont have to show up too your spot an hour early just to draw a blind
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby mallardrocker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:52 pm

im here Sudbur Ontario
mallardrocker
hunter

Postby fido » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 pm

Sudbury area as well
HOOKED ON QUACK
fido
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:15 am

Mark,

I'm moving to Kingston this summer and will be looking for people to hunt with. I'm bringing an 18' v-hull and/or 16ft jonboat with a mudmotor. Is there any use for the jonboat, or are pretty much all areas accessible by a boat w/ 0.5 m draft and an outboard? Might also try to build a layout this summer if I have time/money. What type of duck hunting do you do in the area? I figure there's a mix of puddlers inshore and divers on Lake O. I'm mid-process on making about 250 foam dekes, and they are currently just blocks of foam. What diver and puddler species are most common? Trying to figure out what heads to make and what species to paint the dekes as. I know it's a barrage of questions, but this is a whole different world of duck hunting for me. Thanks for the tips.

John
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby firstblood » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:07 pm

on lake ontario you get some of every thing from scoters to bufys
and any kind of puddler there is, but the most common divers are buffys and goldeneyes the most popular sea ducks would be sea scoters, and puddlers the good old mallard, i hunt of amhersst island and we do alot of hunting off long points that stretch out along wayout, a layout boat would be good at times but you dont really need one to do most of your hunting. as far as decoys go you dont really need 250 unless you go out for the huge rafts of sea ducks a mile or so out you only need two dozen or so when hunting of the shore or even within a mileof shore because most of the flocks you see ae under two dozen in numbers. as for your boat lkae O can get pretty mean i usean 18 foot stanely steel deep vee and sometimes its a bit rough for that so i'd bring your deep vee for the big water , and mud motors dont have much of a place unless you go to one of the big marshes around like long point, you could sell the mud motor and get a small out board to do some close to shore puddler hunting.
i tried to answer most of your questions and if you have any more just ask.
firstblood
hunter

Postby mturcott » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:54 pm

i would love to get you out hunting .... we will have to get in touch when you come up.
go for a beer ... easier to talk about all that stuff in person

let me know when you move up here

Mark
mturcott
hunter

Postby shooter_57 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 am

Hello - sorry if this is thread-jacking. :oops: I'll be brief.

I'll be in the Toronto area the end of September, and would really like to do some hunting while there. I'm hoping that someone here would be willing to share a hunt or two, you can claim any birds shot. :rofl:

Thanks,

Mike
shooter_57
hunter

Postby Heronk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:43 am

Mark

There are a lot of guys from your area on the Flocknockers (www.flocknockers.com) and Canadian Wigeon (http://canadianwigeon.proboards50.com) forums. In fact about 30 guys from the FN forum are getting together to do some fishing and BSing this weekend in the Lindsay area. You should join those forums and meet a lot of guys from the area!

Ken
I love to hunt....so why do I scout?
The more time I spend scouting....the less time I spend hunting!
Heronk
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting