It's official...

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

It's official...

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:22 am

... I'm moving to Kingston, ON later this summer. I'm fighting to bring both boats, as I'm hoping to hunt puddlers and divers. I'm also going to try to build a layout boat, but not sure that this will happen this year.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the process of making about 265 burlap-over-foam dekes. For divers, I was making cans (20), bluebill (50), ringers (30), and redheads (50). Puddlers include blue and greenwing teal (40), black ducks (15), pintail (25), gadwall (15), woodies (10), and black-bellied whistling ducks (10). Obviously I can do without the whistlers, but I may gift these to the guys who have helped me out in FL over the years. I also own about 30 ringers, 6 bluebill, 12 black ducks (really mottled ducks), 12 BWT, 12 widgeon. :help: Would you make any changes to the collection? The foamers are still at the stage where I can change some species. Maybe add some oldsquaw, goldeneyes, buffleheads, mallards, others? How many of each and what would you do without? Thanks for the advice. After making all these dekes, the hope is I won't need to buy any more :no:
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby mturcott » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:36 am

Your going to a good area if your looking for puddlers and divers.
I live 20 min east of kingston and the st lawrence and lake ontario are full of good places to go.

Most people use blue bills, golden eyes and mallards for late season. but i have heard of others. and as for puddlers I only use mallards here but it is a good idea to have some teal (green) and woodies in your spread to bring confidence.

It is almost a must to have at least 4 canadians in your spread in this area, makes for a better hunt

Here is a good website to check out, he is big into the hunting scene around kingston. https://www.stlawrenceoutfitters.com/xl ... php?c=root

hope this helps

Mark
mturcott
hunter

Postby firstblood » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 pm

i hunt kingston and i would definately put in some goldeneye's and buffle heads there nearly endless on lake O and if you hunt way out there put in some old squaw there are quite alot of them too but mostly buffy's
firstblood
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 pm

http://www.amcits.com/weapons_into_canada.asp
This may be worth looking at but I assume you've already taken steps to bring your guns into Canada with you.
Other then that it seems everyone has given you some good advice.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Sat May 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for the tips. Sorry I didn't reply for a while; I have been back and forth with Nodak trying to fix a problem that I have encountered with posting with my computer on the forum. Finally gave up and this post is via another computer. I'll likely be spending most of my time on other forums because of the difficulty, so if you want to get together for a hunt, drop me a line at pretenderfishing@gmail.com . Thanks again.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting