Best call for hunting cold weather?

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Best call for hunting cold weather?

Postby warr0088 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:46 am

I'm in the Ottawa Valley and am looking for my first decent call. I've been using a cheap double and single reed that came with an instructional video from years ago. It's time to upgrade! I hunt a small river that often has ducks flying within 20-50yds above, and also many from further away. I set out decoys and have a great blind set-up. We mostly get mallards, a few wood ducks, and some early season teal as well. The river is enclosed with a line of trees, but open fields just outside the shoreline ....

Any suggestions?
warr0088
hunter

Postby Heronk » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:48 am

I am also in the Ottawa Valley.

I would recommend an Echo or an RNT call preferably in acrylic since the freezing temps can be hard on wooden calls. I personally use Echo calls....a Timber, an XLT and an Open Water. The Timber would be well suited to close in calling like you describe. Also the XLT if you want a little more volume. The Open Water would almost certainly be too loud. I really only use mine on windy days on the Ottawa or in the fields.

If you would like to try them out, let me know and I would be happy to show them to you.
I love to hunt....so why do I scout?
The more time I spend scouting....the less time I spend hunting!
Heronk
hunter

Postby warr0088 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:27 am

I appreciate the offer, I think I'm going to get two custom calls made from Watkins, both acrylic. Expensive, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. Where abouts on the Ottawa do you hunt? I'm in the Carp area
warr0088
hunter

Postby drake23 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:36 am

im in the valley in pembroke were abouts are you guys
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:26 am

I still use my trusty old wooden Chieften call . affordable and reliable
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby plainsman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Cooler weather requires non sticking calls....Spit-tech and Doc Hull are the way to go :thumbsup:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby fido » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 am

I have had no problems with my RNT duck and ZINK goose calls
HOOKED ON QUACK
fido
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting