Importing shells to Canada

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Importing shells to Canada

Postby jsnvsn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would like to show thanks in advance for any help I may receive.

I am part of a hunting party that will be headed to Saskatoon at the end of next week. We were told today to bring our ammo with us due to the lack of quality shells for sale in Canada. No one in the group has ever been hunting in Canada and I was hoping to get some sound advise on the way things work up there. The airline told us we could only bring 11lbs. of ammo per person. I am sure that will not be enough. Thinking of looking into the UPS stores in Saskatoon to see if they would receive the ammo for us. Any ideas would be appreciated.
jsnvsn
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Dude....whom ever told you that...please go slap them very hard.....right now!!......because they have no frickin idea what they are talking about. In fact...I would dis-own them...and never speak or hunt with them.
Canada...the mecca of waterfowling...no quality shells...give me a break
Last edited by goosehunter64 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm

On another note...they sell all the same shell as they do here...plus.
God I hate stupid people...and you...seem to know some. In fact so do I but they don't hunt. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I know driving you can take 200 rounds....flying I heard 3 boxes...not sure on that. Paying duty on shells isn't that much....so anything over 200 rounds...isn't going to break you...so have fun and good luck
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Be prepared to pay $20-$30 for a box of heavier load slower name brand shells..some stores may not stock the cheaper lighter faster loads and not all stores in small towns carry ammo like 3 1/2"
Have the proper ID credentials for buying Ammo in Saskatoon as that is your last chance for buying choice ammo at good prices..ie Wholesale Sports or Wal-Mart Canadian Tire
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby HJF » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Saskatoon Gun Works (306) 242-6747

Give em' a call
HJF
hunter

Postby jsnvsn » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Hey HJF

Thanks for the info. I owe you one!!
I just got off the phone with Darren at Saskatoon gun works and he is going to open up on Sunday when we arrive. I was not getting nervous yet but, it seemed everywhere I called wasn't open on Sunday and did not volunteer to open for us.

I will say everyone I have talked to in Canada has been extremely polite with a good attitude. Getting up there to meet some of these folks is going to add just another pleasure to this life long dream.

Thanks again to all of you who posted with help.
jsnvsn
hunter

Postby HJF » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:59 pm

jsnvsn wrote:Hey HJF

Thanks for the info. I owe you one!!
I just got off the phone with Darren at Saskatoon gun works and he is going to open up on Sunday when we arrive. I was not getting nervous yet but, it seemed everywhere I called wasn't open on Sunday and did not volunteer to open for us.

I will say everyone I have talked to in Canada has been extremely polite with a good attitude. Getting up there to meet some of these folks is going to add just another pleasure to this life long dream.

Thanks again to all of you who posted with help.

It is a good little shop that will go out of the way to help you (even on sundays) Good prices and a very good selection :thumbsup: Have a good trip.....we fly out 10/12
HJF
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, this may not help you out in your situation, but being a Canadian, I can go over to the States and buy ammo, and come back across the boarder with 5000 rounds...legally...according to my sister who is a Canadian customs officer. The only problem is finding stores that acutally realize it is okay for them to sell Canadians ammo. Walmart won't but Kmart will...go figure.

As far as quality shells, whoever told you that needs to be educated. Goosehunter64 summed it up well enough...not much more needs to be said. You can tell your friend that it doesn't snow up here year round and we all don't live in igloos. :rofl:

Maybe you should give a Canadian boarder crossing station a call and hear it from the horses mouth. Have fun on your hunt and I wish ya luck.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:46 pm

ya the limit is 200 for us res. but i just got back and we were charged no duty on 8 cases of shells as wel as tobacco and alcohol. this happend for a few probable reasons. first if you are honest you will get breaks. and 2 im only 17 and my uncle had to fill out an additional gun form which distracted the agent who put the receipt with the list on the side and never came back to it
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby DEDuck34 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:06 pm

airlines usually don't have any restrictions bringing shells to canada...one year i brought 7 boxes and thats more than 11 lbs...but when i came back i had 4 or 5 boxes and they wouldn't let me bring em all back...ive hunted in Saskatchewan the past two years and have always brought my shells up with me, and our guide told us that the shells up there are a lot more expensive then they are in the US
DEDuck34
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting