BC Interior Mallards

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

BC Interior Mallards

Postby Brant » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Took my Labs for a run today,to the slough I usually hunt in late October and November.I walked through the last cover by the slough and put up between 5-600 mallards,about 50 wood ducks and even a dozen pintails.There were also 3-400 Canadas in the river next to the slough.These birds will stay here til' freezeup and it looks like they are early this year.Cold weather up north will bring flight birds to join them.It looks like this will be a good season!I'm off to the Coast for a CAT scan Monday,but when I get back.......... :biggrin: Cheers,Brant
Brant
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:46 pm

I hope everything is OK
You have quite a slough I will be ihtling spot like that nex tweek.
I hope you do some harvesting and show us some pics of interior BC hunting
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

BC Mallards

Postby Brant » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Well the CAT scan got done and my surgery should be in 2-3 weeks.It's going to involve chemo so I don't know how long I'll be laid up.All the medical BS killed my annual trip to Saskatchewan,so I decided to go duck hunting to cheer myself up!Went out to the slough early Sunday and met my partner who informed me he had forgotten to buy his Migratory Permit and wouldn't be shooting!He stayed to work his dog,and Punch had plenty of work.The slough we hunt is a river offshoot,maybe 300yds long and 25 wide.I've always felt overgunned with my 3" 12,and decided to shoot a 3" 1100 20ga.It took a while(the main flight came after we finished),but by 9:30 I was on my way home with 8 drake mallards.If I ever figure out how,I'll post some pictures.Over the last 2 seasons we have taken close to 200 mallards from this slough(ourselves and a few select friends!)We'll both be shooting next weekend!Cheers, Brant
Brant
hunter

Postby Brant » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 am

Hit the slough again Sunday morning,this time my partner had his duck tag!We took his 6yr old twins on their first duck hunt.While they are too young to shoot the boys had a blast,spotting birds,picking up empties,and playing in the mud!The end result was 16 mallards,still all local birds,no northerns yet although there is already snow on the surrounding mountains.Lots of geese around too,I'll set up for them midweek.Winter is coming,the first trumpeter swans showed up this week.(They winter in our valley as long as the river doesn't freeze completely). Cheers,Brant
Brant
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting