Why So Quiet In Here

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Why So Quiet In Here

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:21 am

Is anyone not hunting, or just not very successful??
I'm just dying to see and here hunting stories for my friends back home in Canada....especially NB.
Lets git'r goin guys. :yes:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Whistlers#1 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 pm

I shot the upper Nerepis on opening day.I had the worst opening day I can remember!Only one teal!
Whistlers#1
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Well goosehunter, you already know my stories. Having troubles getting the birds in feet down...compared to last year...when everything dropped in feet down. Ducks, geese everything seemed to come in and drop...this year, not so much.

Last week, got a dozen ducks and about the same number of geese....my group did that is, not just me.

The fields are a lot greener underneath earlier this year, which makes it harder to camo in the blinds. I think that is killing us...just a matter of taking the time to do the blinds in right when we get to the field. Once we get some frosts to soften up the leftover potatoes in the fields, the geese will start working the potatoe fields...until the corn is cut. They love to gobble those little spuds in the field...but they are a pain to hunt in, muddy and hard to cover your blind. But, ya got to do what ya got to do...it is what it is.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm sure it'll get better Tim. You sound like you are doing everything correct.....just hiding the blinds sufficently enough....but makes it hard, when there is not much of it.
Just try and green it up...with the tan vegetation and this hopefully will work out for you. Watch your shadows too
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby nbduckhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Im doin pretty good litle slower then last year but my groups manage 5 geese and 55 ducks so far. Thats without early goose

gonna start on some fields this weekend so hopefully our numbers will go up
nbduckhunter
hunter

Postby plainsman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:17 pm

It's been a great season so far....many limits. Many locals birds have moved on.....now waiting for the flight to start :yes:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby neapew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:42 am

In Manitoba the hunting been great alot of divers starting to move threw. Just went for snows and canada yestreday shot 20 snows and 4 canadas,2 mallards.Going for divers tommrow.Alot of mallards starting to come in talked to a local farmer here and the mallards are starting to go in his fields, so this year should be good.
neapew
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:20 am

Peak of the migration for snows has begun. Snows are flying high in V formation and may be only shortstopping in Sask this time of the year due to the late spell of nasty weather and more to come.
I have never seen so many ducks in the ponds especially mallards..ponds to the west have dried up 50% whereas bigger ponds to the east are full of all kinds of birds.
Seeing large groups of hunters sometimes a dozen to a group going after ducks. and carrying flasks into the restaurants..having a jolly time. as these groups return year after year and the groups got bigger and older with some real young grandsons and wives
Lots of lessors and few big Canadas
Heavy gunfire around fields of birds in spread out Xs. many hunters with trailers stuck in the muddy side roads. even a guide got stuck trying to run traffic to block me on the X...fields are ok for travel. Motels have many hunters.
For snows it is going to be tough to pinpoint the X as a field may have more than one X as new migrants come in and also they sometimes stay in the fields all day or else go to a closer inttermitent roost and come out earlier, say 2 pm to feed instead of the usual pm
Bird pluckers are saying business is down as most guys are now breasting out the birds because of the economy and gas prices; however gas did drop today
Saw a lot fewer cranes this year as it seems as they have moved south earlier than usual and have bunched up
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Timbo4 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:23 am

Finally won the battle with the geese...but the war wages on. We have been struggling with hiding the blinds in the green under seeded fields. So we went all green on Satruday and it paid off. 3 limits by 9:00 am and had we shot better, it would have been earlier...but I can't complain.

-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:15 am

That's how ya do it Tim. Awesome, and congrats.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Thank you sir....with any luck I'll do it all over again on Monday. Give thanks for the Canada goose on Thanksgiving.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:38 am

Good luck bud....whack and stack'em.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Whacked N' Stacked again... Happy Thanksgiving!

-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 am

Damn Tim....that there almost makes me want to move back. Awesome job bud. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Yeah, we hit them hard this past weekend...finally got the results we expected to have...it took a while...but we got things dialed in now.

You been out yet?
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:39 am

Saturday morning brother...opener of the NZ. Even though, I'm in the CZ, I have a pond in the NZ. Got a few buddies invited. A couple of them are from this site, but are also on another site that I'm on as well. The hunt should be 99.9% geese.
I can't wait.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Good luck man, can't wait to see the pics.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting