Duck Hunting Forum banner

Dreaming about Canada

631 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BGipson 
#1 ·
Water fowling Saskatchewan is on my bucket list but I can't tolerate hunting with outfitters or fishing with a guide. No offense to anyone who does or who guides for a living but I have been on hundreds of guided hunting and fishing trips all over the world and I have never had a really successful trip but twice...just a few weeks ago on a spur of the moment Crane hunt in the panhandle of Texas and about 30 years ago when a World Champion Duck Caller had just won in Stuttgart let me and a buddy of mine hunt his pit blind by ourselves because he had other commitments and couldn't go. I would rather shoot one ringneck which I set up on and decoyed by myself than a truck load of ducks and geese that I didn't do much of anything to shoot other than show up and hand over the cash (not opposed to paying for access however....).

With that in mind I am thinking about going next fall (2017) and spending two weeks in the Quill Lakes region and hunting ducks on what I have read is very abundant public water in the mornings and spending the rest of the days scouting and talking to land owners. Is this realistic? I have been told that there is some exceptional duck hunting on potholes and public water which is accessible with a small boat and after 10 oclock or so it would provide ample time to ride the roads and get to know the area and learn what is possible for the nest season.

One of my friends who may be talked into going is of the opinion that it would be better to go with an outfitter for a few days and then hunt but again I just do not like hunting with outfitters. I would gladly pay to hunt their place and use my decoys etc (even though I am sure they have better stuff than me) but I just do not like hunting with people who are only hunting with me because of the money....spending time in a duck blind is more personal to me than that.

So what do you think? Is there enough public water to make this feasible?

See less See more
#3 ·
Just an FYI, it's illegal to pay/compensate for access so you can drop that idea...

Honestly, if you just wanna hunt water, no need to go north of the border. Plenty of places stateside with excellent public waters.

We were up there end of September this fall and didn't see much for ducks but I know guys were hammering them a few weeks into October after there was some snow. Honestly I wouldn't go to Canada just for ducks over water though...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.