Need help on Duck hunting in Alberta

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Need help on Duck hunting in Alberta

Postby GotDuck » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 am

Hello fellow Duck hunters,

I'm a Duck hunter from California and I need help on any information on how to get started on duck hunting in Alberta. I chose Alberta because I have a cousin and my buddy since childhood who just arrived in Canada and I want him to experience duck hunting. What do I need to get started about duck hunting in Alberta ? I read some private ranch but it's very costly. In California, I can go to any Public Wildlife Refuge (i.e Grizzly Island, Delevan and etc)and it cost me only $17 to get in. Basically, I'm looking for something similar in Alberta. Is there such place ? I would prefer a place closer to Peace River, Alberta.

I would really appreciate if you could give me some information about cost of hunting License(as non-resident), stamp and etc

What is the equivalent of Department of Fish and Games in Canada ? If you can provide the website, I can just read the regulation and etc.

When is the duck season in Alberta ?

Thanks in Advance
2013 - 2014
Mallard = 0
Shoveler = 2
Green Wing Teal =1
Wigeon = 2
Pintail = 1
Gadwall = 0
Golden eye = 0
Bufflehead = 0
Ring-necked = 0
Snow Geese = 0
Canada = 0
Speck = 0
WoodDuck = 0
Canvasback = 0
GotDuck
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:35 am

Go to www.srd.gov.ab.ca
the to the Dept of ish and wildlife browse around

You must have a WIN card ( wild life identification number before you can purchase a license $8

Then you must have a Federal Migratory Game Bird Permit $17

Lastly..aliens must pay for a 6 day wildlife certificate for $78.50

Up in the Peace Hills area you will be on the fringe of the Boreal forest and foothills region and experience some of the finest shooting as the birds will see you hunters as the first on the gaunlet and should be easy pickings if you are in the right location.
Just about any kind of blind will do as they are not yet educated.
#3s are a good duck load. lots of pinfeathers still in Sept.
Waders are ok but pond/bogs are deep and mucky.

A dozen duck dekes are a plus even though they come into the same fields as geese but earlier.

WE do have public shooting refuges sometime called BUCK FOR WILDLIFE sites and some DU with permission.
Your relative should have connections...Only the rich can afford to hunt up north as the outfiters are really raking it in.

Population is sparse and fields are full of birds....permission is needed.......lots of black flies and killer mosquitoes in early Sept.

Good Luck
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby GotDuck » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am

Thank you for the informations. It's very much appreciated. I will read through the website you provided.
2013 - 2014
Mallard = 0
Shoveler = 2
Green Wing Teal =1
Wigeon = 2
Pintail = 1
Gadwall = 0
Golden eye = 0
Bufflehead = 0
Ring-necked = 0
Snow Geese = 0
Canada = 0